[Sosfbay-discuss] Single-Payer's Trojan Horse: Switzerland

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Mon Aug 17 13:39:36 PDT 2009

Speaking as one of the 47 million un-insured, there is some chance
that in a Swiss style system I would be insured, and not be one of the
7 million left out. We would have to look deeper to really know. The
back of the bus looks good to a pedestrian, to use the public transit
metaphor.

Speaking as one of a tiny minority, I lived in Geneva, Switzerland
for four years as a child. My brother was born there, and I know
from personal experience that Switzerland is a very organized place.
I would even go so far as to say that culturally speaking, we don't
want to live like the Swiss. It's just not the way we are. We like
things looser here.

Speaking as someone within groping distance of passing for a Latino,
more than once someone has told me "I was born in (fill in South
American Country of your choice here)." I often respond by saying
"I was born in Chile." It gives me that "we are moving forward together"
feeling some would describe as "being on the same page." I started the
paragraph by saying "within groping distance" because I just don't get
it on Latino Culture in many ways. I'd feel like a trojan horse if I
called myself "Latino" in front of anyone that walked the walk. They
would be okay with it though, because Latino is a culture not a race.

On the radio just now I heard a clip of Obama saying he was going to
use "technology to cut through red tape." I am painfully aware that it
took a lot of technology (and energy) to get that sound bite to me.
Please consider that very little of what made it possible to share
this from my point of view was insured. What your insurance situation
is I'm not sure of, dear reader. If you're like my brother, I think you
spend too much on insurance. Don't get me started on technology and
"trojan horses".

Tian

--
Tian