[Sosfbay-discuss] CA Fair Elections Campaign

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.sj.ca.us
Fri Aug 28 08:25:42 PDT 2009

>From: Andrea Dorey <andid at cagreens.org>
>Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:11:24 -0700
>Cc: sosfbay discussion group <sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org>
>Subject: Re: [Sosfbay-discuss] CA Fair Elections Campaign

>I, too, am planning to go on Sunday after the Humanist Community
>Forum at 11 AM.
>I will try to remember to wear my green shirt in solidarity!
>Andrea

>On Aug 26, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Palm Haven Handyman wrote:

>> Hi, folks!
>>
>> My old friend, Peter Drekmeier, is the mayor of Palo Alto.  He
>> invited me to come on Sunday to the California Fair Elections Act
>> fundraiser in Palo Alto.
>>
>> I checked it out, and it seems great to me.  I looked at the flyer
>> here:
>>
>> https://www.yesfairelections.com/contacts/civicrm/event/info
>>
>> and I found out that yow, this is co-sponsored by the Santa Clara
>> County Green Party.  Wow, youz guys rock!  Way ahead of me on the
>> learning curve!

Is this the same California Fair Elections Act we've been seeing
for the last few years?  (caclean.org's bill.)  That one gave something
like eight times as much money to a Dem candidate as to an equally
qualified Green candidate.  As I recall, there was no consensus on
endorsing it, and the vote to endorse was close.  Proponents used
nonsensical but emotionally appealing mumbo jumbo like "let's not let
the perfect be the enemy of the good," placing the assumption beyond
question that there's something "good" about giving more money to
the money party's candidates.

I doubt there will be an opportunity to speak against a money party
fundraising bill at a fundraiser for it, so I'm not going.  I'm truly
disappointed that Greens supported a bill which introduces *new*
discrimination against Green Party candidates and the party itself.

-Cameron