[Sosfbay-discuss] Fair Elections?

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Sat Aug 29 11:58:50 PDT 2009

Getting $5 from each of 7,500 people is quite a bit of work. Probably
you could do it with good name recognition and a few dozen volunteers.

My entire donor list from 2006 was probably under 100 people. I don't
think 7500 Californians would give me $5 donations, but maybe they would
if I had a good schwag or something like that. But then it wouldn't be a
donation.

I like this idea a lot better than that "top two" one, which I consider
to be more or less a death sentence for third parties. I don't like it
enough to do any work for it though.

Tian

Palm Haven Handyman wrote:
> Wes,
>
> Please dumb it down for me.  Should I be supporting this thing or agin it?
>
> I favor electoral reform.
>

> Roy III
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Wes Rolley <wrolley at charter.net
> <mailto:wrolley at charter.net>> wrote:
>
>     Cameron's note sent me off to do some research.
>
>     Here is the actual text of the bill that will be on the ballot:
>     Note, in all of the following, we are only dealing with the
>     Secretary of State Elections in 2014 and 2018... sort of a test case
>     before doing more.
>
>>     (b) For eligible candidates in a general election:
>>     (1) The base amount of Fair Elections funding for a
>>     performance-qualified
>>     candidate in a general, special, or special runoff election is one
>>     million three
>>     hundred thousand dollars ($1,300,000).
>>     (2) The amount of Fair Elections funding for an eligible qualified
>>     candidate in a contested general election is 25 percent of the
>>     base amount
>>     a performance-qualified candidate would receive.
>     So, Cameron is correnct in that Dems would receive 4 X what a Green
>     would receive if the Green candidate were not "performance-qualified."
>
>     So, what is the definition of being "performance-qualified"?  (I am
>     going to cut and paste just a few key items so that you get the point.
>
>     OK.. this gets a bit more complex as you go thorough it all.
>
>     First, there are "office qualified" candidates.
>     To become "office-qualified" you must do *ALL* of the following:
>>     1. The candidate files a declaration with the commission that the
>>     candidate has complied and will comply with all of the
>>     requirements of this
>>     act,....
>     and
>>     2. The office-qualified candidate shall collect at least 7,500
>>     qualifying
>>     contributions. ($5 per contribution).
>      and some more administrative provisions to be followed.
>
>     Then for the performance qualification???
>
>>     A qualified candidate shall collect at least one-half of the
>>     number of qualifying contributions as required for an office-qualified
>>     candidate for the same office. A qualified candidate may show a
>>     greater
>>     base of support by collecting double the amount of qualifying
>>     contributions
>>     as required for an office-qualified candidate to become a
>>     performance-qualified candidate.
>

>     There are a few other wrinkles, including one on getting the word
>     out that you really need these contributions.  That is called "seed
>     money".
>
>>     (b) A seed money contribution shall not exceed one hundred dollars
>>     ($100) per donor, and the aggregate amount of seed money contributions
>>     accepted by a candidate seeking to become eligible for Fair
>>     Elections funding
>>     shall not exceed seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000).
> [...]

Tian
http://tian.greens.org
Latest: pictures from Saturdays Cool Cuisine thing in Sunnyvale, CA.