[Sosfbay-discuss] Agenda Item -- IRV in San Jose

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Mon Aug 31 19:01:31 PDT 2009

I would like 15 minutes on Wednesday's agenda to ask for an endorsement
of implementing IRV in San Jose.

As local Greens have been hearing lately, the New America Foundation is
actively working on bringing IRV to Santa Clara County. The county
charter allows IRV implementation through an action of the Board of
Supervisors.

An opportunity currently exists to have San Jose push this issue
forward. The preponderance of the city government supports IRV. If San
Jose says they want it, the county will have to respond.

We're in the phase where the challenge is to keep the issue alive. With
all else that's going on, some arcane election system change isn't too
high on many priority lists. One tactic is getting endorsements for IRV
from various organizations.

If anyone knows a San Jose or county-wide organization that may be
interested in endorsing this effort, please send me their contact
information.

Thanks...

Jim Stauffer