[Sosfbay-discuss] Green Party Meeting--Dec. 2, 2009

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Sun Dec 6 12:04:44 PST 2009

Green Party Meeting--Dec. 2, 2009

Facilitator--Tian
Timekeeper--Warner
Vibes Watcher--Dana
Notes--Caroline
Agenda for Next Month--Brian

Intros and announcemennts:
Tian: went to protest of B of A in SF. 12 arrested,  Cameron; Andrea; Caroline; Warner: Campaigns at state level and GPUS. Greg Jan tried to talk him into running for Secretary of State; Jim Stauffer; Fred; Jim Doyle; Gerry: 350.org is having a vigil at Anna Eshoo's office on Dec.11;  Dana: Steve will be volunteering in Santa Clara;     Merriam; Paul Rea; Brian.

Andrea's three minutes
Lines >From Locksley Hall

Treasurer's Report
We now have $1930 (over $2000 after passing the hat)
Budget:
fixed expenses--$525
booth fees--$590
remaining--approx $800
This does not include mailing for November election. Cost for mailing to all Greens in County is $2500. In the past we have done mailings to frequent voters only. Cameron suggested we do frequent voters plus an experimental group. We need to do fundraising and then a mailing. Food 4 Thought and putting items from yard sale on Craig's List should help with fund raising. Tom had mentioned at last meeting that we should have a concert. His uncle knows Tom Hartman. Maybe Tom could get him to one of our events. Merriam will talk to Tom.

Election of Regional Rep
Cindy Asrir moved from San Francisco to Nebraska four years ago. She has an extensive and impressive resume of  political and volunteer work in Ohio and Nebraska. She got into the Bike Coalition, met Tian, and decided to become more active in the Green Party.

Warner asked her if she really understood how much work being regional rep is. Jim S. said he has filled her in on local issues.He says Cindy is interested in strategic planning. We need that. She likes fundraising! Hooray! (editorial comment). Jim D. asked if she knows how much time it takes. She said yes.

Warner proposed accepting Cindy as Regional Rep. Everyone agreed. Jim S. will report this to CC. Jim S, will remain as alternate at least until after upcoming plenary. He will be our rep. Cindy will do San Mateo.

Status Report From Plenary Food Committee
Fred said we need chairpeople. Budget is $1700-$2000. We will have a meeting on Dec.6 at 4:00 at Caroline's house to discuss menus and costs, and another meeting on January 4, same time, same place, to finalize information for the logistics packet and Registration form.

Report From Tabling
We took in $35 at De Anza and $54 at Junior State, talked to some wonderful young people and got some contact information for future event. Coverage for the Peace Fair is all set.
Possible upcoming opportunity on Dec. 11 from 5:30-7:30

Report from Wes (Caroline)
Wes will not make his decision about whether or not he will run for Water Board until after Dec. 18.  We will move the Food 4 Thought to February so we can decide on a location after we hear from him.

Coalition for Downtown Hospital
County has tentative agreement with HCA, owners of old hospital building, to purchase that site. On Dec. 14 there will be a meeting of the Coalition. On December 15, there will be a Board of Supervisors meeting, at which they will take public input on this proposed purchase.

Reports from Anti-Escalation Demonstrations
Brian  and Fred were at a demonstration with David Ledesma and about 5 other people. There was another demonstration at MLK library with about 30 people.

Finding Candidates for County Council
Tian says we need as many candidates as possible. Brian, Merriam, Fred, and Andrea will run. Tian will run if we get 7 other cindidates. We will have to ask Carol and Wes if they are candidates. (probably not Wes if he runs for Water Board). Jim Doyle and Caroline will not be candidates. If we have our Food 4 Thought in late February, we can take care of getting the signatures needed for cc candidates, as well as Wes, if he runs.

GPUS annual Meeting/Presidential Convention
Wednesday-Sunday, early July 2012. We would not be responsible for costs. SF, San Jose, LA mentioned as possible sites. We could do it as a region with San Mateo. We have Cindy now, with a lot of experience. Warner will get us more details.

GP Extravaganza Anniversary in Berkeley Februar 5
Caroline will take a carful, if someone else will drive.

We tabled the new plumbing issue as Roy was not here.

CA Fair Elections Act--Merriam
 Nancy Neff has been at our Food 4 Thoughts. Merriam says we should approach her with the idea of having a "passion raiser" here. Andrea says this is still not fair to little parties. Merriam says it's a way to get our foot in the door. Brian said the meetings are on 3rd Wednesdays in PA at Unitarian Church and 3rd Thursdays at Remax office in Cupertino, 19200 Stevens Creek Blvd #210. For more info and times contact  southbayarea-info at caclean.org .
Warner said we need to remember this is only for Secretary of State as of now. Brian sayid discrimination cuts in because we get less than 10% of the vote. We get four years to raise $15,000. We should be able to do that (maybe now that we have Cindy). Merriam said we should get a proposal together for what GP could do. She will put out an email on this.

Fred's Proposal to Oppose Obama's Escalation
Fred wrote a proposal opposing Obama's decision to send more troops to Afghanistan. After many people made suggestions for changes, we authorized Fred to send it out to press, congress people and the president.

New Literature
We should ask Wes' permission to use excerpts froim his columns. Warner will talk to Shane Que Hee about our (new) platform pamphlet . Fred suggested postcards addressed to congresspeople. Dana said Fred makes fabulous signs.

Lists From ROV
We are entitled to one free copy for each partisan election.  $86 for set-up fee. We need to get the list and do something with it. Get volunteers to call people from the list.