[Sosfbay-discuss] Answers to questions on the NZ ballot I had at the meeting...

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Mon Feb 9 01:49:47 PST 2009

Hi Tian,

I can answer most of your questions, and a couple I'll have to make a
phone call over because I think the system has changed a little.

 > a) how long does it take to vote?
it took me ten minutes, a 5 minute queue, a couple of minutes to track
my name, cross it off and hand me a voting form, a couple of minutes to
fill it in (no hard decisions here) and a minute to post it and leave

 > b) Is cheating by big parties a problem?
There's no news that any of the parties cheat.  The most that happens is
that there's a handful of people who vote twice, mostly people who don't
know what they're doing, i.e. elders with memory problems.  Anyone who's
thought to vote twice maliciously gets tracked and prosecuted, otherwise
the votes are simply discounted.

 > c) How long does it take to count votes, and how do they do it?
The polling places close at 7pm and a whole bunch of people at
electorate headquarters count the ballots by hand.  The tv reports all
the results coming in from every electorate around the country.  The
smaller booths return their results first.  This election cycle the
result of the election was known by about 9.30pm, only 2 1/2 hours.
The checking for double votes happens afterwards.  We don't get a final
result for three weeks because that's how long it takes for special
votes and overseas votes to be counted.  special votes are those that
are cast outside of the area where the person is registered as a voter.
This is the piece of info I will check and confirm back to you.  i spoke
with a Returning Officer a month ago and she told me that had new
systems, but I didn't hear what they were.

bye for now
Rosalie
--
Tian