[Sosfbay-discuss] Registering Greens-- PLEASE READ

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Tue Feb 10 09:34:00 PST 2009

I sent this out before, but there was a whole lot of other stuff (pages and pages), so some of you might have skipped it. You don't need to table or have a tabling kit to register people. You can get registration forms at the Post Office. Even our frequent tablers have been saying they aren't having much luck registering people. I think the following sample dialogue is very helpful. You can read it in two minutes. WE NEED MORE GREENS! And please read the part about the Contact sheet.
Caroline :-)

> >     i find if i say, "Let me ask you about your  political
> values... Are you
> >for PEACE ?"... The answer is "Yes"
> >     "Are you for BETTER WAGES?"  The answer is  almost
always "Yes"
> >     "Are you for EQUAL RIGHTS ?"  The answer is
"Yes"
> >     "Are you for Protecting the ENVIRONMENT ?" The  answer
is "Yes", 95% of
> >the time...
> >
> >     "So you are a Green", i say...
> >

> >Some Common (initial) Resistance  +  Response  Examples :
> >
> >A) -
> >Voter says, But everyone wants Peace.
> >
> >Tabler says, Where there's the WILL for Peace, there WILL be
Peace... and
> >give examples such as Joschke Fischer, Green Foreign Minister for
Germany,
> >influencing Germany not to join the Iraq War...
> >                    Make  note of the fact that Democrat AND
Republican
> >politicians vote themselves hefty  pay raises, while the minimum
> >wage remains a
> >POVERTY wage... (Now is a great  time to emphasize Green economic
> policies)...
> >                    You  might then mention, Republicans AND
> Democrats are in
> >the back pockets of the big  wealthy corporations, while the average
voter's
> >policy preferences and needs,  are bypassed and ignored...
> >So registering Green is another way to try and make the
> politicians work  for
> >us...
> >                     i  might say, "What if a Million
Californians
> registered
> >Green...?  Don't you  think there'd be a political shake-up,
or at
> least some
> >movement, for the good  ?"
> >                     Who  knows where Critical Mass is for Real Change
!?

> >B) -
> >Voter says, But i want to be able to vote in the Democratic
Primaries.

> >Tabler says, There is no Primary for over a year, between now and
> then,  over
> >365 days, you can send a strong message for PEACE NOW (or whatever
Green
> >issue you want to emphasize, like EQUAL RIGHTS, especially if the
> voter is  a
> >woman, or from a minority community)...
> >                    So  NOW we can vote, for __________ (insert Green
> >Issue/Value), along with hundreds  of thousands of other voters, all
> >across this
> >country, millions all around the  world -- mention 18 Greens in the
Swedish
> >Parliament, 8 in New  Zealand, State Legislators in Arkansas, Maine,
> >and previously
> >in  California, plus Green Majorities in Sebastopol, and Arcata, and
> >Mayors in
> >Richmond, Fairfax, Moraga, Marina, etc etc, and almost in San
Francisco, and
> >so  on and so forth...
> >
> >The Tabler can say, "So you (to the voter) can use your
registration as a
> >voice NOW, and you can use it strategically again, *ANYTIME* you
want"...
> >                     "That  is, you can change your registration
> > Green NOW,
> >then look at the candidates  before the next Primary, Feb 2010, and
decide
> >then how you want to vote in  that election"...
> >                     Meanwhile  you're sending a message for
something you
> >want your GOVT to do NOW about  ___________________.   (Insert Green
Value,
> >policy, issue, etc)
> >

> >     Over the course of about 30 hours, from 1/4/9 to  1/9/9, in
Sacramento
> >despite the cold, at McKinley Park and a little at the  nearby
> >Safeway, also at
> >the Long's across from BelAir Market on W. El Camino,  across the
American
> >river on the north, Natomas side of town, and also at the  Coop off
> >Alhambra and
> >S st and 29th, (Basically the pitch works at roughly the  same rate,
> >50% - 70%
> >Green, +/-, all over the state)...
> >     At those locations in Sac, i registered 27  voters...:
> >
> >Total 27 Registrations
> >
> >19 Green (70.4%)
> >   5 Democrats (18.1%)
> >   2 Libertarians ( 7.4%)
> >   1 Republican (3.7%)
> >
> >(NOTE - i always try to go over the whole registration form with the
voter,
> >helping them skip the parts they need not fill out - it only takes a
couple
> >minutes i point out, explaining where they must put something, such
> >as CDL, if
> >they have one...  And then i can go over the choices section on the
> >Registration Form WITH the voter --  i try to do this AFTER
they've
> >marked  how they
> >are currently registered so i can get a clue to where they're
> >coming  from...
> >               Look  at a registration form now if you have one --
> > because the
> >"previous  registration" section is below the "party
choices" section on the
> >form, i say, when we get to the choices section, i say let's skip
> the choices
> >now and come back to it at the end, and then i can explain what
American
> >Independent, and what Libertarian stands for, or what the Peace and
Freedom
> >Party's history is, and go on from there, emphasizing and often
> >giving  examples,
> >how IMO the Greens have the best choice of Values...
> >              -  AND i remind the voter that HERE they are NOT voting
for a
> >person, not this  time, but instead they are VOTING for a set of
*VALUES*,
> >values that they  agree with, values that they want to see
> >implemented.  And i have
> >little  difficulty demonstrating, giving examples, how the Democrats
and the
> >Republicans  consistently betray those values.
> >               For instance, when the voter marks what they WERE, in
the
> >"Previous  Registration" section, you can ask, "Are you
SATISFIED
> >with the job the
> >Democrats and the Repulicans are doing ?  A vast majority of the time
the
> >voter will say "No !"   And then you essentially have an
> >open  invitation to go
> >over the other options, focusing where possible, on the  Greens.)
> >
> >(Note #2 - a certain percentage of the Greens you register will be
> >interested in further contact with local GP members and so be sure
> >to have  a "CONTACT
> >SHEET" with space for Name, City, and Email, and/or phone, if
desired.