[Sosfbay-discuss] Santa Clara Valley Water District

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sun Feb 15 09:40:33 PST 2009

I have come to the conclusion that the entire Board of Directors of the
Santa Clara Valley Water District needs to be replaced and the sooner
this happens, the better off we will be.  This may be rather difficult
as the decision to implement term limits on Directors has to be made by
the directors themselves, an unlikely occurrence.

Initially, my criticism's of the water district dealt with the fact that
they had not yet begun to address the realities of climate change and
sea level rise.  I knew that there were others who were concerned with
the financial mismanagement at the district, but I was not fully aware
of just how much this will cost us.

I have started a conversation with those South County residents charging
fiscal irresponsibility.  This will continue and we will seek to find
people to run for the Board at every opportunity and will provide
backing to such efforts.

Some of the problems can be highlighted as follows:

Santa Clara Valley Water District serves 1.7 million residents with 825
employees
Orange County Water District serves 2.3 million residents with less than
half the number of employees.

At the same time, the Water District salary profile is well above that
for comparable organizations in Coastal California.

Santa Clara Valley Water District budget for Fiscal Year 2009 gives a
lengthy discussion of financial debt obligations where the largest sums
fall under the heading of Certificates of Participation.  This is really
the costs to the water district for their share of the construction of
the State Water Project and the Central Valley Project.  I am told that
at least one of these has never been paid since the obligation was first
incurred in 1987, accumulating increased interest while the water
district has been in constant "negotiation" on the rate.  The net result
seems to be about $100 million that we could have avoided paying and
which must now be paid at the worst possible time for the economy.

Water rates will go up again this year and it will be conveniently
blamed on the drought and the need to cover fixed costs with a dwindling
revenue base... less water used means less revenue to the Water District.

I am looking for other Greens who have the interest and the time to
carry on this fight for a Water District that is capable of applying
sound financial policies to the problem of a sustainable future.  We are
developing a support system for those interested in this most important
issue.  The National Green Party EcoAction Committee will become a hub
for sharing such information.   The first part of this is a brochure
that is  suitable for tabling and which can be downloaded in pdf format
from the EcoAction Committee pages.
http://www.gp.org/committees/ecoaction/documents/EcoAction_Water_Brochure.pdf

At the same time, we are working on an information / skill sharing
effort in California.  It will  most likely be run under the Green
Issues Working Group, but that is not yet clear.  Whatever the
structure, it will have full participation from Martin Zehr.  Martin is
new to the Bay Area but brings over a decade of experience working on
various citizen group, regional task forces, etc. as an advocate for
public participation drafting new water laws and regulations in New
Mexico.

Contact me off list at wrolley at charter.net if you are willing to work on
putting financial responsibility and sustainable planning back into the
practices of our local water delivery systems.  It is all there in the
rhetoric but not the reality.

Wes

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024