[Sosfbay-discuss] FW: Amnesty: reestablishing US moral authority

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 01:23:01 PST 2009

Sent to local activists' group

Three days after President Obama took office, he conducted
air strikes against a country that was no threat to us, and
killed 16 civilians doing it.  (1) I'm not a lawyer, but I think that
constitutes a violation of the Nuremburg Principles' prohibition
of aggressive war, and I fear it represents an announcement
that President Obama will be no more bound by treaties or
international law than Bush was.

Recently in the Mohammed et al. v. Jeppesen lawsuit the
Obama Justice Department reaffirmed the Bush doctrine that
state secrets necessitated gags on torture policies.  Wikipedia
tells us that Amnesty  International was one of the first groups
to protest at Jeppesen's San Jose office back in 2006. (2)

Anthony Romero of the ACLU said Obama was continuing Bush's
"reprehensible history of torture, rendition and the most grievous
human rights
violations committed by the American government.
This is not change."  (3)

1.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/24/pakistan-barack-obama-air-strike

2.