[Sosfbay-discuss] [G-C-F] Water Emergency

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat Feb 28 19:29:25 PST 2009

Caroline Yacoub wrote:
> If we could get the government to stop giving water to people who grow
> cotton and rice, neither of which is a sustainable crop in a desert,
> there wouldn't BE a water emergency.
I agree on cotton, not so much on rice.

If people want to grow fiber for clothing, hemp is a lot better and uses
a lot less water.

But, growing rice is mainly n the Sacramento Valley, not the San Joaquin
Valley and that is much more favorable.  In fact, proper management of
the land and water can be one of the best ways to protect both,
especially flooding the land in the winter, attracting birds, deterring
weeds and getting a large deposit of free fertilizer so less natural gas
going to making ammonia.

After cotton, the next worse crop is alfalfa.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024