[Sosfbay-discuss] Jonathan Turkley on Olbermann about Rule of Law

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Thu Jan 29 00:42:33 PST 2009

The news said Obama used his first Presidential phone call to call
Mahmoud Abas. To me that gives the Palestinians an unprecidented level
of legitimcacy. I'm just not ready to hit the panic button yet.

Brian Good wrote:
> Turley said Obama's silence is conspicuous. The
> easiest thing to say is that we must prosecute war
> crimes, because treaties obligate us, and that's the
> law. Nobody in the Obama camp is saying the
> magic words. Bush's underlings have an estoppel
> defense--they can say they were advised by John
> Yoo and others that their actions were legal. The
> President and his immediate subordinates can not
> use that. If they have committed war crimes and
> are not prosecuted, we will shred four treaties and
> four statutes.

I don't call calling for the closing of Guantanamo silence.
Give it a bit of time to time to develop. Every President
is entitled to 100 days of grace period. Relax. Watch. Listen.

> Bush's actions were unprecedented. He decided
> that he was beyond the law, and became a
> government unto himself. If Obama prevents the
> investigation of war crimes he will be not merely
> an apologist but an accessory.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVwfuTj0pA

When Bush was President I made a consistent effort to not break laws
worth respecting. I'm still doing that. I still miss doing 85 in a 65
MPH zone every now and then....

Remember the days when you could get a ticket for "Wasting a finite
resource" for going more than 55 MPH?
--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org