[Sosfbay-discuss] My Last Rant - "Why We Need 'Media Matters' for California"

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Mon Jul 6 17:17:11 PDT 2009

Dear Green Friends,

Follow this link to California Greening for my commentary on recent junk in the MSM about California.

http://cagreening.blogspot.com/2009/07/why-we-need-media-matters-for.html

This will be my last rant for awhile.  I can be a frustrated computer programmer.  I can be a frustrated political scientist.  I can be a frustrated "pundit."  But I cannot be all three.  When I read that crazy New York Times Magazine story about the California governors race, I was so enraged that I wasted hours over the holiday weekend composing a critique with appropriate hyperlinks.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/7/5/750310/-NYT-Magazine-on-California-is-S-o-o-o-Bad

Mark Leibovich can write in The New York Times that Gavin Newsom, Jerry Brown, Meg Whitman, and Steve Poizner -- a bunch of rich, privileged aristocrats  -- represent:

"...a diverse and, to some degree, radically discordant group of candidates striving to win over one of the country’s most disruptive places."

George F. Will can write in the Washington Post:

"California is exporting talent while importing Mexico's poverty"

Wingnut editors can write this lead editorial in The Wall Street Journal:

"President Obama has bet the economy on his program to grow the government and finance it with a more progressive tax system. It's hard to miss the irony that he's pitching this change in Washington even as the same governance model is imploding in three of the largest American states where it has been dominant for years -- Ca
lifornia, New Jersey and New York.
. . .
These states have been models of 'progressive' policies that are supposed to create wealth: high tax rates on the rich, lots of government 'investments,' heavy unionization and a large government role in health care..."

Why not?

They know perfectly well that *NOBODY* is going to call them on it.  And our own California "liberals" are too busy worrying about East Jerusalem and the West Bank of the Jordan to give a damn about what's happening in East L.A. and the West Bank of the Sacramento River. I am supposed to drop everything and fret about what Obama is going to say in Ghana and forget 900,000 poor children (80% of them children of color), losing their health care in California

So, I'm gonna shut up and focus on putting my ideas into practice in the upcoming 2010 California elections and let this other stuff go. Let the voters do the talking in November 2010.

Alex Walker
Los Angeles Greens