[Sosfbay-discuss] Food not Lawns

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Jul 23 08:05:28 PDT 2009

The Santa Clara County Library has a single copy of /Food Not Lawns/ by
H. C. Flores. I happen to have it checked out right now, and have not
yet finished reading it.

Actually, while it is an easy read, there is a lot of material that is
better absorbed with some actual thought going on.. and so I would
rather like to keep it around for longer than the short time I have it
checked out.

For example:  Flores is a certified permaculture designer.  She would
seem to have some things in common with poet Gary Snyder.  When Snyder
was asked about what we could do concerning the latest environmental
crisis, his Zen-link answer was "Stay put."  In reality he was saying to
develop a sense of place, to listen to the land.  Flores offers the
guidance to "look deeply."  Take the time to see what is really there.
Both are going the same direction.

For example: we have thermometers in the shade at two locations outside
our home.  One is on the south side of the house, with a stone wall
terraced slope about 15 ft. away.  The other is on our deck on the N.
side of the house.  On a sunny afternoon, they register as much as an 8
deg. difference. Then, in the winter, there are areas of the property
that get frost when most of the place does not.  Microclimates abound.
We plant accordingly.

There is an additional interest for Greens, though, as Flores considers
holding a seed swap to be a revolutionary action and a great chance to
talk politics.  We don't do that, but we do, as she also suggests, share
our excess with our neighbors and that again is an opportunity to build
community... and talk politics.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024