[Sosfbay-discuss] Notes From the Recent GPUS Annual Meeting

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 13:01:39 PDT 2009

I attended the GPUS Annual National Meeting in Durham, NC July  23rd-26th.
There were various workshops Thursday afternoon (four tracks to  choose
from).  I attended one on how internet technology can help campaigns  and
another about fund raising.  Friday morning I attended a workshop  critiquing the
national party on various counts and led another workshop to that  had
folks sitting roughly in a circle talking to/with each other about what was
going on in their various state GPs.  Friday afternoon was a meeting of the
Green National Committee (delegates from the state GPs) that was mostly
reports  of various kinds.  Friday night was a showing of a documentary called
Coal  Country about the effects of the coal industry in Appalachia (to be
released on  tv... don't know if it will be on HBO, PBS or?).

Saturday was probably the most important work of the meeting  as a whole.
There has been a (IMO legitimate) critique that the national  party
delegates have gotten overly preoccupied with rules and procedures  and need to
refocus on Green messaging.  This criticism comes  from a number of delegates
(and is not intended as a criticism of work  done by people on various
standing GPUS committees).  The  group as a whole engaged in one of those
what-is-your-most-important-issue-write-it-on-a-post-it-and-now-we-will-collect-them-
all-and-see-what-we-have  exercises.  The result was to create three
working groups to work around  the following issues:  Single Payer Healthcare;
Human Rights; and  Water/Food/Energy.

I went to the WFE group where we all agreed that all of  the "three" issues
groupings were really all interconnected if not parts of  a whole (e.g.,
food and water are basic human rights that are part of good  health;
healthcare being another basic human right).  All of the  working groups are intended
to connect with state and local work already  done, collect information
papers for candidates, and create Green messages to  use at all party levels
both to encourage activities on the ground and  outreach to media and for
recruitment (whew!!!).  As "working  groups" the activities are volunteer driven
and created.   The three groups reported back from their hour long initial
meetings and  then there were break out groups to discuss how standing
committees could also  move in the direction of either participating in better
messaging or  use whatever the new working groups are able to develop.

Saturday night had a gathering at a local bar as a  joint fund raiser for
the North Carolina GP and GPUS (there were periodic fund  raising pitches and
a silent auction throughout the event).

Sunday morning included more reports.  Friday, Saturday  and Sunday
included brief statements from Steering Committee candidates who will  be elected
in the next few weeks by email voting.

The event was held on the North Carolina Central University  campus using
its buffet style cafeteria and a dorm for housing to keep costs  down.  Very
friendly environment.  Got to meet in person a number of  people I have been
reading on email and, in some cases, hearing on  teleconferences.  Attend
ance was in the 120-150 range, so workshops and  meetings had enough that I
didn't see empty rooms where I attended.
California by my count had at least 6 delegates and two  observers.  Drew
and I were delegates from Santa Clara County, and Fred was  an observer.

These are just my comments and impressions...  not  anything "offishul"

Warner

**************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to
School
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223105306x1201716871/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D9)