[Sosfbay-discuss] Fw: Instant Runoff Voting for San Jose

Eric A. Meece eameece at sfo.com
Mon Jun 1 12:34:34 PDT 2009

CauseNet
----- Original Message -----
From: Emily Pears, Califoria Common Cause
To: Eric Meece
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 12:10 PM
Subject: Instant Runoff Voting for San Jose

Dear Eric,

For five elections in a row, instant runoff voting has saved the city of San Francisco money, increased voter turnout, and resulted in city officials who are more representative of their constituents' views.

Could instant runoff voting do the same for San Jose?

California Common Cause, along with the New America Foundation's Political Reform Program, invite you to a panel discussion on Thursday, June 11 to discuss how instant runoff voting might be implemented in the city of San Jose.

This panel will feature San Jose City Councilor Sam Liccardo, Californians for Electoral Reform President Steve Chessin, San Jose City Councilor Ash Kalra, and California Common Cause Board Member Katie Selenski.

The panel discussion will be moderated by Terry Christensen of San Jose State University and will take place at the Martin Luther King Jr. Public Library from 12pm to 1:15pm in rooms 225/229.  We hope that you will be able to join us for this important discussion about the future San Jose's elections.

What: Panel discussion on the future of IRV for San Jose

When: Thursday, June 11th, 2009 from 12:00pm - 1:15pm

Where: Martin Luther King Jr. Public Library, 150 East San Fernando Street, San Jose, Rooms 225/229

Parking is readily available in city garages on 4th and San Fernando.  This event is free and open to the public, and lunch will be provided.

To register for this event, visit http://www.newamerica.net/events/2009/instant_runoff_voting.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Sincerely,

Emily Pears
and the rest of the team at California Common Cause

      Forward this email Give to Common Cause  Visit the CommonBlog

Common Cause is a national nonpartisan organization with chapters in 38 states. Our mailing address is 1133 19th Street NW, 9th Floor, Washington, DC 20036. Our phone number is (202) 833-1200.

Remove yourself from this mailing.

Remove yourself from all mailings from Common Cause.

Modify your profile.