[Sosfbay-discuss] "Torture is a Moral Issue" 6/26-27 in Palo Alto

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:31:13 PDT 2009

June 26, 2009:  Torture is a Moral Issue Panel - The soul of our nation is at stake!
Friday, June 26, 7:30pm at the First Presbyterian Church, 1140 Cowper St., Palo Alto
Mark the 22 anniversary of the UN Convention Against Torture by attending this crucial conversation featuring
Ray McGovern -- Jean Maria Arrigo -- Ben Daniel -- David DeCosse -- John Crigler.

June 27, 2009:  Torture is a Moral Issue One Day Conference
Saturday, June 27, 9am-5pm at the First United Methodist Church, 625 Hamilton Ave., Palo AltoIf you are able, join us for the Saturday conference featuring:
Terrence Karney - former Army Interrogator;   Rev. Carol Wickersham - founder of No2Torture;   Janet Alexander - Stanford Law School Professor;   Banafsheh Akhalghi - Amnesty International;    Center for Survivors of Torture Speaker
          "We need to make it clear that we believe it is Jesus Christ, not Jack Bauer who saves us. Our story line is not the ticking time bomb scenario; our story is the gospel, a story of triump over torture and death."-- Rev. Carol Wickersham, Presbyterian minister, No2Torture founder, Saturday conference keynote.Suggested donation for Friday panel $5-15; for Saturday conference $20-$40.  No one turned away for lack of funds.
Register for Saturday conference by clicking here.  Registration is not required by very helpful!
Torture is a Moral Issue Panel and Conference are sponsored by the Council of Churches of Santa Clara County, the  National Religious Campaign Against Torture,  No2Torture, the Bay Area Religious Campaign Against Torture,  Peninsula Peace and Justice Center,  Network for Spiritual Progressives,  California Council of Churches, Calvary Presbyterian Church in San Francisco, and  MicahsCall.org.

Cosponsors:
Center for Survivors of Torture of Asian Americans for Community
Involvement, Amnesty International Western Region, Multifaith Voices
for Peace & Justice, American Muslim Voice, San Jose Peace and
Justice Center, Declaration of Peace-San Mateo County, Los Altos Voices
for Peace, Action Council Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto,
Pace e Bene, St. Thomas Aquinas Human Concerns Committee, Catholic
Community at Stanford, Pax Christi at Stanford, Center for Spiritual
Enlightenment, Code Pink & Global Exchange.

For more info, and flyers:
http://www.councilofchurches-scc.org/article.php/torturepanel