[Sosfbay-discuss] New OpEd online today.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Jun 3 15:57:48 PDT 2009

Eric A. Meece wrote:

<snip>

> The idea that evolution is a settled issue is a common misconception,
> and promotes a dogmatic scientism. Darwinism as understood today is
> dehumanizing and anti-life, because it reduces life and its
> evolution to a mechancal process, as well as reducing it to a
> competitive rather than cooperative one. These issues are important to
> many Greens, not just religious people. If there is a spiritual,
> creative aspect to life, not just a mechanical one, then this aspect
> must be extended to all life and all being, not just to humans who see
> themselves as special and apart. In my opinion, we can't reduce living
> beings to mechanical objects on the one hand, and on the other hand
> value them as sacred, mysterious and inherently valuable. We know some
> spiritual things by means of experiences that aren't easily testable
> by empirical science, though some kinds of science substantiate these
> experiences (such as the evidence that prayer works, evidence for ESP,
> etc. etc.).
The real direction of all efforts needs to be aimed at achieving
Consilience... the unity of knowledge...  as described in E. O. Wilson's
book by that name.  It is really the effort to find the true scientific
basis for all of the things that you have listed.  And, if and when this
exceedingly complex effort is complete... you still will not have any
answer to the question as to what action came before the big bang.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024