[Sosfbay-discuss] June 3, 2009 Green Party Meeting

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Thu Jun 4 00:45:27 PDT 2009

Hats off to Tian for a great agenda, and for very Greenly printing proposed button designs on the back.

Present: Tian, Warner, Drew, Fred, Andrea, Caroline, Merriam. Also present for a bit: Eilene Johnson, Drew's mother, and Yvonne.
Facilitator:Drew
Timekeeper: Fred
Note Taker:Caroline
Vibes Watcher: Tian

Treasurer's Report (sort of)
As Jim was absent, Warner reported that we currently have $1900.
We need to get a candidate for Water District. Andrea is interested, if the District has anything to do with wells. Warner says we need to identify and train candidates soon.We need to go to the Registrar of  Voters website and find out when the election will be. We need to find out if members are at large or by districts. Fred said we should get minutes from meetings. Warner volunteered to do research. Andrea and Merriam will go to meetings.

Introductions
Tian went to a meeting about biking and transit this morning. There are 4 new bridges for bikes.
Warner still has plants to be tabled.
Eilene Johnson, from Centennial, Colorado, talked about "flagpole annexation". Centennial is now a Home Rule City.
Merriam is working with the Palestine Action Group, also looking for someone to run against Lofgren and Honda.
Drew--One Step event last Saturday night at Santa Clara Convention Center. Purpose: to connect youth and young adults with non-profits.
Fred--went to Denver on his honeymoon 60 years ago.  Saturday there will be a celebration of "Paddle to the Sea" at aquatic Park, at Larkin and Beach, from 12:00 to 4:00 with kayak rides and barbecue.
Yvonne left, Caroline and Andrea said nothing much.

Plenary
Warner: he was the facilitator on Saturday. The agenda was "captured" by dissonant folks, but the group still managed to pas a budget of $38,000, get fdelegates for GPUS, and approved two platform planks. He was frustrated by two individuals at loggerheads who dragged everybody else with them and by dishonesty in the way a proposal was presented, but he did his "lawyer thing" and kept everything from falling apart.
Andrea said she thought Warner had a good effect and people at the meeting thanked Santa Clara County for helping to smooth things over.
Drew was excited about what happened, because the saner Green element overcame the more aggressive people. He also mentioned the party Saturday night with the Radical Fairy.

KKUP
Merriam asked people at the County Council meeting to donate to KKUP in the name of the Green Party. It was announced over the air, and Warner and Lee Ann heard it and donated, too.
We suggested working on fundraisers for other radio/TV stations so we would be mentioned.
At the next marathon for KKUP, we should go and present our checks when they are at the Farmers' Market.

Gathering
Warner says it's more work than a plenary to put on. He also sys that, if we want to put one on in January, the proposal must be ready by the end of August.
Tian suggested a Bay Area Gathering.
Merriam suggested a place in Saratoga.
Fred said we should get a well-known entertainer.

Tabling
Gay Pride--staging 9-10 Sunday, June 14 Drew and Tian will carry the banner, if we can find it. Drew will call people.
Juneteenth--June 20-21. Tian is in charge. He sent around a sign-up sheet Tian is going to make a calendar of our upcoming events to hand out at Juneteenth.
July2 at Fred's at 7:00 Food 4 Thought #2 organizing meeting.
July 25--Yard sale at Andrea's Sunnyvale house. Be collecting stuff. If you can't haul it to Andrea's, Caroline will come and get it in July. E-mail Andrea about it, Caroline will be out of town.
August 22--Green Cuisine Food 4 Thought Picnic at Murphy Park.
Three Day Labor Day Event.
October 12 Green Fair--Merriam will be in charge.This is Indigenous Peoples' Day (otherwise known as Columbus Day). It will be at a church in downtown San Jose, and will feature tabling by green businesses and entertainment.

Coordinating Committee region member and alternate
There was a caucus at the plenary that sort of selected Tian, but Warner says it was improper. Drew disagrees and says the by-laws were followed. We need a person, but it'd hard work. Jim Stauffer wants to resign. Warner says we should ask San Mateo County to have the alternate. The next plenary will be the middle of October.

Button Vote
Tian had us look at the new button art he had run on the back of the agendas. We made comments and voted and should be having some cool new buttons soon.

Courage Campaign
Merriam said we should have somebody working on Gay Marriage town halls with the Courage Campaign. Maybe November.

Yes Magazine
Fred got us all excited about donating Yes magazine to our local libraries. Some of us chose to do that rather than donating to tonight's kitty.

We covered a lot of ground and got a lot done. Sorry if you weren't there.