[Sosfbay-discuss] Thanks, Wes, for questioning "growth,"

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Tue Jun 30 22:11:26 PDT 2009

Reading David Korten's new book "Agenda for a New Economy - from Phantom
Wealth to Real Wealth, why Wall Street can't be fixed and how to replace
it" (a book I highly recommend) I see these quotes:

"Because of how our financial system is designed, the economy has to
grow or collapse.  ...  Because the bookkeeping entry a bank makes when
it issues a loan creates only the principal, the economy must grow fast
enough to generate sufficient demand for loans in order to create the
money required to make the interest payments.  Otherwise debts go into
default and the financial system and the economy collapse."

"For millennia, our adolescent excesses were little more than an
irritant to our Earth Mother, and we got away with behaving as if her
patience and abundance were limitless.  That time has passed.  We can no
longer live by the rules of an open frontier.  We must adapt our ways of
being and relating to spaceship rules."

Rob Means, Electro Ride Bikes and Scooters
408-262-8975   rob.means at electric-bikes.com
1421 Yellowstone Ave., Milpitas, CA 95035-6913
Discover cycling that's Easy, Safe, Fast - and FUN!
---

Message: 4