[Sosfbay-discuss] 9/11 Widows Ask Sen. Leahy for True Criminal Investigations

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 5 10:02:38 PST 2009

An Open Letter to Senator Patrick Leahy  Dear Senator Leahy,

We felt compelled to write to you regarding your recent call for the
formation of a “Truth Commission”. According to your press comments,
this Commission is supposed to look at the following:

    * the politicization of prosecution in the Justice Department

    * the wiretapping of U.S. citizens

    * the flawed intelligence used to justify the invasion of Iraq

    * the use of torture at Guantanamo and so-called black sites abroad

These are serious allegations of criminal activity by certain
members of the Bush Administration. While we applaud your initiative in
looking into these matters, we feel this approach is wrong.

As the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, you already have
the responsibility and legal authority to investigate matters relating
to federal criminal law without having to form a special commission.
You are also bound by your oath of office to support and uphold the
Constitution by ensuring that those who govern also abide by the rule
of law.

Furthermore, a “Truth Commission” will not fix the real problems
that our country faces, nor will it guarantee that we will get to the
truth. The 9/11 Commission, which you want to model your commission
after, is a perfect example of that flawed process.

The 9/11 Commission was mandated to follow the facts surrounding the
events of September 11, 2001 to wherever they might lead and make
national security recommendations based upon those facts. Sadly, prior
to even beginning their investigation, like you, the 9/11 Commissioners
agreed amongst themselves that their role was to fact find, not fault
find.

This decision resulted in individuals not being held accountable for
their specific failures. These people were shown to be incompetent in
the 9/11 Commission’s Final Report but were left in their positions, or
worse, promoted. No one should be allowed to make this compromise on
behalf of the American people. How can any agency be deemed fixed or
reformed if the people working there are inept? How can anyone feel
safer?

At the 9/11 Commission hearings, little actual evidence was ever
produced. Many individuals were not sworn in, critical witnesses were
either not called to testify or were permitted to dictate the
parameters of their own questioning, pertinent questions were omitted
and there was little follow-up. Whistleblower testimony was suppressed
or avoided all together. The National Security Agency, an intelligence
agency that is responsible for the collection and analysis of foreign
communications and foreign intelligence, was barely investigated at all.

With the narrative of the 9/11 Commission’s final report
predetermined and with the preexisting intention to never hold anyone
accountable in place, the 9/11 Commission was doomed to fail as a real
investigation. The end result of the 9/11 Commission’s work was that
some of the recommendations that they produced were in fact, based on
distortions and omissions. Since their mandate of a complete accounting
was ignored, the recommendations were incomplete at best.

There was clearly no desire on the part of Congress to force the
Commission to meet its legislative mandate. Accordingly, there were no
repercussions for the fact that the investigation and its
recommendations were incomplete. It could be surmised that holding no
one accountable was more important than uncovering and disclosing the
truth. This could compromise the future safety of American citizens.
Why then would you want to model another Commission after it? Why would
you want another Commission at all?

Senator Leahy, in light of the fact that the 9/11 Commission’s worst
offense was not fully investigating the September 11th attacks,
completing that investigation should also be included on your list of
matters to be examined.

America’s founding fathers, prescient in their fears of unrestrained
power, created three separate but equal branches of government. They
had hoped to maintain and enforce the limits of the Executive Branch.

The Bush Administration was allowed to circumvent too many
Constitutional restrictions effectively undermining America’s system of
justice, our nation’s integrity and commitment to the rule of law. The
Bush Administration’s seizing of power proves the adage that “absolute
power corrupts absolutely”.

The days of no fault government must end; and where there is clear
criminal activity, people must be prosecuted. The law must be upheld
without exception before we can be assured of the safety of the nation.
These duties cannot be ignored for the sake of expediency.

Senator Leahy, our nation needs you to investigate and, if
warranted, refer the cases for criminal prosecution in transparent
trials. We do not need another meaningless commission resulting in no
accountability at the taxpayers’ expense. Show all Americans that you
have the courage to uphold the law, bring accountability to those who
abuse their positions of power and prevent such abuses from happening
again.

The November 2008 elections proved that Americans want the rule of
law restored for those in Washington who are elected to represent us.
You, Senator Leahy, are in the position to lead the way and work toward
the change we were promised.

Sincerely,

September 11th Advocates

Patty Casazza

Monica Gabrielle

Mindy Kleinberg

Lorie Van Auken

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/40410

        senator_leahy at leahy.senate.gov

Senator Leahy, I support the 9/11 widows' call for true criminal-track
investigations of the crimes of the Bush regime, not the cover-up
commission you seem to be proposing.

The widows presented 300 questions to the 9/11 Commission.  They
only got 27 answers.  That's not right.

http://www.justicefor911.org/Appendix4_FSCQuestionRatings_111904.php

Brian Good