[Sosfbay-discuss] Fw: Battle the Top 10 Germ Hot Spots - INSTRUCTIVE READING

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:10:15 PST 2009

I recently learned that the microbial population on and in our bodies
exceeds the number of our own cells by a factor of ten.   (1)

At the fish-packing plant where I worked in Fort Bragg we would hose
down the plant every day and spread rock salt on everything.  I
recommend salting cutting boards every few weeks, especially if
you cut chicken or pork on them.

I lean sponges up against the wall like a ladder so they can
dry on both sides.

Reference (1) below discusses the effect of antibiotic and antibacterial
products in breeding resistant strains of microbes after these products
wind up in the sewers, the rivers, and the landfills.   I remember Michael
Pollan saying in a radio interview that the US feedlot industry would
collapse in one day if they were not allowed to feed antibiotics to the
cattle.  Pollan says 70% of antibiotics in the USA are fed to animals on
factory farms.  (2)

1.  http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/meade_callahan.html

2. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/magazine/16wwln-lede-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1