[Sosfbay-discuss] March 4, 2009 General Meeting

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Sun Mar 8 13:15:27 PDT 2009

I apologize for not getting these out sooner. Some of you might have wanted to go to the Stop Recruiting Kids event at First Christian Church in San Jose on March 7. Jim Doyle can probably tell you how that went. There was also a Raging Grannies movie at Cinequest. Sorry.

Meeting

Present: Fred, Carol, Tian, Cameron, Roy,Merriam, Jim Doyle, Caroline
Facilitator: Drew, Timekeeper: Roy, Note Taker: Caroline, Vibes Watcher: Fred

Introductions. Announcements: Stop Recruiting Kids event; David Ledesma was interviewed on Flashpoint on KPFA; CiviCRM stands for Civic Constituent Relationship Management.

Greenspiration--Roy on Sustainability Councils; Carol and Dru on Summit in Denver

On January 20, Roy was interviewed for Planning Commission. He is a green contractor. He wasn't selected, but he left them with the idea that there should be a Sustainability Council, and he should be on it. Neighborhood Sustainability Councils should become "viral" and spread. He said we should get a group of 5 people together, then we should find a people  knowledgeable in waste management,  water management, etc to give talks.

We should give a BIG party for youth. We should give lots of awards e.g. for kid with best sustainability project. We should give each kid a tree to plant. Get green companies to help support it, give them a chance to promote their wares. Give away cool software. Merriam said there was a huge thing for youth on climate change in Washington DC. We should find the kids in our area who went, see if they want to share ideas.
(Here's an idea: we could give away tickets at Junior State)

Carol and Drew on Denver Summit
Carol gave a detailed report on this in her earlier e-mail, but, for any of you who may have missed it, here are a few topics discussed:
-voting machines with instant feedback invented by Chris Beusey(sp?) in Menlo Park
-Transpartisanism--getting above partisan politics to think more wholistically, create dialogue. Transpartisan tool-kit, helping to get over normal problems like stereotypes
-Barbara Marx Hubbard said, "Let's focus on a positive, transformative vision--where we want to go."
-Kent Mesplay spoke on Green outreach to Native People, going to ask Native Americans to become leaders in the Transpartisan Movement
-Cynthia McKinney spoke on Peace, Justice, and Dignity
-Steve Shefferman(sp?) said Greens had an impact beyond their numbers.
-Peggy Holman brought in the "Change Handbook". Good ideas about facilitating meetings, networking, not top-down, self-organizing process. The "law of two feet"--if you're not engaged by a topic, you walk away.

Treasurer's report

We had $1,638.76 (more after hat passing, but I don't know how much) . Jim says we need to start raising money. He suggested we read "Fundraising for Dummies."  No disrespect intended, I'm sure.
Merriam suggested we put on spaghetti feeds. We formed a spaghetti committee, which will meet at Caroline's house on Thursday, Mar 12, at 1:00. The committee is Merriam, Fred, Drew, Caroline, and Tian. Other interested persons are welcome. We will address accountability, health care, and sustainability. We will find people to speak and table on these topics at the spaghetti feeds. We will work on finding venues and food.

Accountability

There are groups for 9/11 Truth  and Arrest Bush and Cheney. Carol said the Green Party should support these causes. Brian was at Stanford meeting with people who want to hold Condoleeza Rice accountable.

Events: we need people to volunteer to work at and be in charge of these activities

March 7--sorrry

March 12--spaghetti meeting, 1:00
 March 12    7:00 LWV public forum on Electoral College: Can we do better?  City of Mt. View Council
                    Chambers, 500 Castro Street

March 19--Speak out for anniversary of war at Martin Luther King library

March 21--Peace march in S.F.
 March 21 and 22--Peace activities on Stevens Creek and Winchester with David Ledesma

March 28--Earth Hour 8:30, turn off your lights

April 22--SJSU Earthday celebration
                SCU Earthday celebration
                Possible south county Green celebration
                Various and sundry farmer's markets and local events. Be there, wear your Green Buttons
April 25--Junior State

May 2 (&3?) Berryessa Art and Wine Festival. Heavy lifters needed

May 14--Bike to Work Day. Green Party will have an Energizer Booth.

June 20-21--Juneteenth

July 4th weekend (3,4,5) Downtown San Jose.

August--nothing so far

September
Labor Day Weekend--Saturday, Sunday, Monday--Downtown San Jose

September 19--Santa Teresa Community Fest

October--nothing  so far

November--Junior State

December--Holiday Peace Fair First Sunday

Schwag

It has been noted that we need to raise cash. We don't currently have much to sell at tabling events. Tian got the prices for a large variety of sellable things. We decided that the initial investment was too high, given the current state of our finances. We discussed alternatives: plants, bag clips, Salvation Army shirts, painted rocks, and seeds. Caroline is going to paint rocks, Drew is going to grow plants, Carol is going to package seeds. Drew would like some egg cartons or yogurt containers to start the plants in.

If anybody thinks of some more free or cheap, or easy-to-make things that we could sell, please put it on sosfbay.

Caroline