[Sosfbay-discuss] Goodbye Organic Farmers.../Tabling Seeds & info...

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Tue Mar 10 15:23:14 PDT 2009

Again, whoever you are, please sign your messages at the end.  These
last three messages appear to have been sent by Ms./Mr. Anonymous.

Thanks,

Fred D.

        Dear Green Party activists,

        At our last meeting we discussed what merchandise we should get
        for our tabling efforts- everything from T shirts to pens and I
        volunteered to follow up on my idea of - organic seeds...

        I contacted Seeds of Change to find out if we could get seeds
        for our tabling/fundraising.  We can get a collection of 4 seed
        packages which they suggest retailing at $10 each.

        The 4 choices include-

        Italian Kitchen Collection

        Genovese Sweet           Roma Paste Tomato              America
        Spinach        Cal WonderOrange
        Basil
                          Bell Pepper

    Kids Fun to Grow Collection

    Red Core Chantenay           Howden Pumpkin               Mammoth
              Mideast Prolific
             Carrot
            Sunflower                 Cucumber

    Salad Starter Collection

         Mesclun Mix                 Cal Wonder Orange
            Fox Cherry               Shungiku Edible
                                       Bell Pepper              Tomato
                             Chrysanthemum

    Zesty Salsa Collection

    Jalapeno Chile           Slow Bolt Cilantro      Roma Paste
    Tomato                   Valencia Onion

    It's geared for schools and for students to sell, but we might find
    Green Party members also interested in doing outreach to their
    communities (considering the current political situation- and
    perhaps as a way to get people more aware of the corporate onslaught
    against our ability to get healthy food).  I'm including here just
    one of a flurry of posts that I have received on new bills which do
    threaten small farmers.  We could create our own informational
    literature on this- but Seeds of Change will also send us some-
    though they tend to inform on basic health/educational rather than
    political issues...)

    Here are the options for quantity.  Pleases give me feedback ASAP so
    I can order this- or we can go through the treasurer depending on
    the size of the order.  (I don't mind donating some $ towards this
    effort- beats the hell out of plastic coffee mugs in my opinion....)

    Starter Package   MHFR09ST- S22396
    COST   $600
    Includes:  100 collections at $6/box                  SCHOOL
    PROFIT    $400
    25 Italian Kitchen
    25 Kids Fun-to-Grow
    25 Salad Starter
    25 Zesty Salsa
    School Garden Starter Kit ? 25 seed packs, 10 garden markers, 5 catalogs
    Door-to-door order forms for future orders
    Bulk order form for future orders
    All shipping charges

    Full School Package   MHFR09FL - S22397              COST   $2,250
    Includes:  375 collections at $6/box             SCHOOL PROFIT    $1,500
    100 Italian Kitchen Collections
    100 Kids Fun-to-Grow Collections
    100 Salad Starter Collections
    75 Zesty Salsa Collections
    School Garden Starter Kit ? 25 seed packs, 10 garden markers, 5 catalogs
    All shipping charges

    Custom Order   MHFR09CT (order minimum of $100)
    Includes:  Collections as selected at $6/box
    School Garden Starter Kit ? 25 seed packs, 10 garden markers, 5 catalogs
    Door-to-door order forms for future orders
    Bulk order form for future orders
    All shipping charges

    All potential earnings are based on sale of collections at the
    suggested retail price of $10.00 each.

        *Stop HR 875, HR 814, SR 425, And Soon, HR 759
        OR Say Goodbye to farmers markets, CSAs,
        and roadside stands

        *

          *The above so called "food safety" bills in Congress were
          written by the nation-less corporations such as; Monsanto,
          Cargill, Tysons, ADM, etc. These bills are all associated with
          the opposite of food safety. What is this all about then?*

    - By Linn Cohen-Cole - March 04, 2009

    In the simplest terms, organic food and a rebirth of farming were
    winning. Not in absolute numbers but in a deep and growing shift by
    the public toward understanding the connection between their food
    and their health, between good food and true social pleasures,
    between their own involvement in food and the improvement in their
    lives in general, between local food and a burgeoning local economy.

    Slow Food was right - limit your food to what comes from your region
    and from real farmers, and slow down to cook it and linger over it
    with friends and family, and the world begins to change for the better.

    And as we face an unprecedented economic crisis, and it is hard to
    be sure what has value, one thing that always does is food. Which is
    why the corporations are after absolute control over it. But what
    obstacles to a complete lock on food do they face? All the people in
    this country who are "banking" on organic farming and urban gardens
    and most of all, everyone's deepening pleasure in and increasing
    involvement with everything about food.

    Farmers markets. Local farmers. Real milk. Fresh eggs. Vegetable stands.

    Click here to read more...
    http://www.treehuggersofamerica.org/Say_Goodbye_To_Farmers.php