[Sosfbay-discuss] GP non profit status

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 14:35:38 PDT 2009

For your general information for a question that arises from time to time
here is a recent email exchange with Warner.

 I wrote
Is there a formal document that certifies or recognizes our non profit
status?

His answer follows:

Not that I know...  Political parties generally are considered
"nonprofit" under the federal tax code and can incorporate under state
law.  However, most political party activity is unincorporated and
regulated via either state or federal regulations -- e.g., FPPC; FEC.
The tax id number is required because any nonprofit activity can have
taxable income and because banks require it for their necessary records
keeping.  Political parties are NOT 501(c)(3) -- that is, no donations
are tax deductible by the donors.  A copy of the FPPC Form 410 showing
the GPSCC is a general state political committee is probably the closest
to any paperwork we have about this.  Warner