[Sosfbay-discuss] GP non profit status

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 12:19:57 PDT 2009

I don't think that political parties are even considered 501c4, because Campus Greens was a 501c4 and we could not endorse candidates (nonpartisan or partisan), we could not release public voter guides endorsing a certain vote on propositions, and we could not say that we were part of the Green Party (officially, we supported Green values, but legally not part of the Green Party). 501c4 is still very much educational when it comes to political actions but there are ways to bend the laws to engage in legal political activities as a 501c4.

Jim makes a good point distinguishing 501c3 and 501c4. Contributions to 501c4 are not tax deductible and contributions to political parties are definitely not tax-deductible. Many organisations (like MoveOn) have both a PAC and 501c3, but tax code gets complicated when you try to work the system.

-edward