[Sosfbay-discuss] Fw: Energy and Commerce Committee Passes American Clean Energy and Security Act

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Fri May 22 21:29:35 PDT 2009

Gee, sounds good to me.

--- On Fri, 5/22/09, Anna Eshoo <eshoo.newsletter at mail.house.gov> wrote:

From: Anna Eshoo <eshoo.newsletter at mail.house.gov>
Subject: Energy and Commerce Committee Passes American Clean Energy and Security Act
To: carolineyacoub at att.net
Date: Friday, May 22, 2009, 1:57 PM

Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here
http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001aqj1QInodGSEsn89VOUfxknHsphwoxOk8sF8F1YoDtlLoflAD3GXvzDc0i8FzRAnw94Houo7qoDdnwO0lTMcIO2xKeRQzXfici23T2GjbCplgACpnkqS2tMKmKcx4-MD7lRpOwmxrEKP_7u1CMAjdpjwbl3ZkO46nk-ePFSBBQBs2o8bGNeA30TCatuM6ySLoVRXtnpA1emUP8apQRurqzrX-tF_9VEcwMX3T1hzvvEZEvq9YawDRSL-BFxnmgzf

May 22, 2009

During this entire week as a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, we debated, wrote, and passed the American Clean Energy and Security (ACES) Act.  This is an historic effort to shape a new energy future for our country, to move the United States to a leadership position to address global climate change, and finally break our addiction to fossil fuels and advance alternative sources of energy here at home.  I believe it's the most important legislation in a generation.

The legislation is comprehensive and will protect consumers, promote research and development, and deploy clean energy technologies in the U.S.  It focuses on creating green jobs and addresses the transitions that workers will have to make so that our economy will be globally competitive, and it moves us closer to a sustainable and secure energy future.

The American Clean Energy and Security Act will create millions of new clean energy jobs, save consumers hundreds of billions of dollars in energy costs, enhance America's energy independence, and cut global warming pollution.  To meet these goals, the legislation has four titles:

•    A clean energy title that promotes renewable sources of energy, carbon capture and sequestration technologies, clean electric vehicles, and the smart grid and electricity transmission.
•    An energy efficiency title that increases energy efficiency across all sectors of the economy, including buildings, appliances, transportation, and industry.
•    A global warming title that places limits on emissions of heat-trapping pollutants.  This legislation would cut global warming pollution by 17% compared to 2005 levels in 2020, by 42% in 2030, and by 83% in 2050.  These are science-based targets and within the range agreed to by USCAP.
•    A transition title that protects U.S. consumers and industry and promotes green jobs during the transition to a clean energy economy.

The legislation has received wide support from electric utilities; energy companies; manufacturing, industry, and corporate companies; labor unions; and community and environmental organizations.  Click here to see a comprehensive list of companies, organizations and unions that support the legislation.

I'm extremely very proud that the American Clean Energy and Security Act includes several provisions I wrote which will help achieve these goals:

•    My bill, H.R. 1742, the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Act is included in the American Clean Energy and Security Act.  This language authorizes the Secretary of Energy to provide financial assistance for regional deployment and integration of grid-connected vehicles. Funds may be used for offsetting the incremental cost of purchasing new plug-in electric drive vehicles, deployment of electric charging stations or battery exchange locations, or facilitating the integration of smart grid equipment with plug-in electric drive vehicles. Makes data and results from the regional deployments publicly available.
•    A provision I wrote to double the eligible size of distributed generation renewable energy projects, which includes solar energy projects, was also adopted into the legislation.  This will incentivize larger scale solar projects which will reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and help bring down the price of these valuable solar technologies over the long term.  The greatest challenge the U.S. solar market faces is scaling up production and distribution of solar energy technology to drive the price down to be on par with traditional fossil fuel sources. My provision in the bill will help expand and drive the solar market.
•    The ACES Act includes my amendment to create a National Clean Technology Business Competition to help accelerate the growth of clean technology companies which will create green jobs in America by providing early stage start-up companies with targeted training, mentoring, and incentives and by making the investment community an active partner in the competition.
•    The American Clean Energy and Security Act also includes my amendment to drive the adoption of energy efficient information and communications technologies in the federal government.  The U.S. government is world's largest user and customer of information technology (IT) and energy.  Chief Information Officers, who are responsible for the federal government's IT systems, should be accountable for the energy costs of these systems and rewarded for savings brought about through increased efficiencies.   A coordinated effort to reduce energy use and speed the adoption of new technologies in the federal government will save taxpayer dollars and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

We come to this task in the midst of the worst economic crisis in generations.  We now have the opportunity to set a new direction for the American economy – to create new jobs, clean jobs, sustainable jobs – to enlist the great American work ethic in the uniquely American task of reinventing ourselves again.  There are many more steps ahead with the American Clean Energy and Security Act and I will keep you updated on its progress and implementation.

As always, I rely on and value your thoughts and ideas on issues you care about, so please let me hear from you.

Sincerely,

Sincerely,

Anna G. Eshoo
Member of Congress

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101115513627&ea=carolineyacoub%40att.net&a=1102589145899

This email was sent to carolineyacoub at att.net by eshoo.newsletter at mail.house.gov.

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&v=001NI6EII-P7iQliNDx1Q1ym0g4IqfAR1MDuTSKbn1jktwoUMUrEY4pZ3FwITvXUZSwyGx2Yjqog9wNWmiAzv7VFA%3D%3D

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&v=001NI6EII-P7iQliNDx1Q1ym0g4IqfAR1MDuTSKbn1jktwoUMUrEY4pZ3FwITvXUZSwyGx2Yjqog9wNWmiAzv7VFA%3D%3D

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Email Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

Rep. Anna Eshoo | 698 Emerson Street | Palo Alto | CA | 94301