[Sosfbay-discuss] Dilbert, the office and old motorcycles.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Sat May 30 10:54:46 PDT 2009

The Clayart email list that I read has taken a liking to the following
from last week's NY Times Magazine. Entitled The Case for Working With
Your Hands
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=1> it
really tells us just how far we get from the real world of things.

I consider this an analog for the anti-science attitudes that seem to
prevail.  The similarity is that science is the process of trying to
figure out how the physical world really works and then to explain it in
terms of observations that can be made any time the conditions are the
same.  I made the connection in a comment (#3) to a post hyping the soon
to be released book, Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy
Threatens Our Future
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/2009/05/30/unscientific-america-page-4/>.

I am sure that Tian will appreciate the NY Times piece.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024