[Sosfbay-discuss] Thurs Nov 12 event at SJSU

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 1 20:39:42 PST 2009

*Subject:* 4th Annual "Poverty Under the Stars" Campus Sleep Out: The
Great Recession

 On Thursday, November 12, 2009, SJSU students and faculty will hold the
4th Annual
"Poverty Under the Stars" Campus Sleep Out at San Jose State, and we
would like to invite
your organization to participate.

This year's "Poverty Under the Stars" event, which is sponsored by the
Gulf Coast Civic
Works Project and the Cesar Chavez Community Action Center, is focused
on the /
Great Recessio/n (see attached flier).  There are three ways your
organization can participate:

   1. Decorate a tent that demonstrates how the /Great Recession/ is
      impacting your community;
   2. Come to the 7-9 pm community-wide event at the Smith & Carlos
      Statue Garden and hear
         1. speakers (including someone from your organization) discuss
            how the
         2. /Great Recessio/n is affecting your community, and learn now
            Civic Works can create
         3. jobs and rebuild America.
   3. Sleep out in solidarity with the people who are being effected by
      the /Great Recession./

If you and/or your organization are interested in participating in the
4th Annual "Poverty Under the Stars"
Campus Sleep Out, please email or call me at 510-508-5382.  And please
share with your staff and
members, and feel free to distribute it widely.

best,  scott
Scott Myers-Lipton, Ph.D.
Sociology Department, San José State
Co-Founder, Gulf Coast Civic Works Campaign
(510) 508-5382
www.SolvingPoverty.com <http://www.SolvingPoverty.com>
www.SequoiaRetreatCenter.com <http://www.SequoiaRetreatCenter.com>
/
"Have courage. Press on, one step at a time in the direction of your
dream."/
--Ellen Grace O'Brian