[Sosfbay-discuss] Fw: nuclear power

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Mon Nov 23 08:39:00 PST 2009

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Rosie Yacoub <rayacoub at yahoo.com>
To: Jim Doyle <j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net>; Caroline Yacoub <carolineyacoub at att.net>
Cc: yacoub8003 at yahoo.com
Sent: Mon, November 23, 2009 8:08:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Sosfbay-discuss] nuclear power

SMUD I think commissioned the Ranch Seco Nuclear Power Plant in the early 70's as gas prices were skyrocketing.  Because it is a publically held utility, there was a grassroots movement to decommission the facility and it worked.  Now, that could have left the utility with too many customers and not enough energy.  It could have made them more subject to the turbulance of the open energy market when CA degregulated a bit circa 2001--but it didn't.  In fact--at that time when PG&E doubled the price of their kilowatt, SMUD had a much more modest increase--and utility customers in Davis, CA started to have SMUD-envy and have since been organizing to be included in SMUD's service area.

Why?

The Sacramento Public Utility District decided that they would make up for Rancho Seco's output with conservation.  They paid direct rebates to people who upgraded their appliances to ones that use less energy, installed insulation, dual-pane windows, and weather strippin, or agreed to have shut-offs installed on their heating and air units that would turn them off when peak demand exceeded a certain amount.  They paid to plant 1,000,000 deciduous trees around people's houses and in parking lots--which made the whole city measurably cooler in the summer.  They have a program that provides the fianancing and handles all the paperwork for rebates for installing roof-top solar (and have had this program since the late 80's/early 90's).  It was a gamble which happened to pay off, and one of the things I really love about where I live.

Best,
Rosie