[Sosfbay-discuss] Climage Change Press Release

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Wed Oct 7 14:19:27 PDT 2009

I LOVE the quotes from you, Wes.  You really lay it on the line for
them!

Apologies if your links have the answer to this but I am limited in
time and frequency to log on.
WHAT is the Green Party doing for 350 Day, the International Day of
Climate Action???  (see 350.org)  This is a worldwide global action
by all persons and groups interested in making a strong statement
about the need to drop carbon emissions to 350, a loooong way to go.
What were the levels in 1990?

Since I have been hearing about pollution levels from my PreMed days
at San Jose State University in the 1950s, I am easily MORE inclined
to believe the increase of 6.3 F degrees.  I think we Homo saps are
close to being totally f**cked already due to our arrogance and
ignorance.

Yeah, we really should leave this planet and go into space to start
over on a new world; we'll probably know how to do it all better
there.  (I wonder if "they're" watching?)
Andrea

On Oct 7, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Wes Rolley wrote:

<clip>
> [...]
> mclarty at greens.org
> Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator, 916-995-3805, starlene at gp.org
>

> Greens, calling the Kerry-Boxer Senate bill on climate change an
> "armful of retreats and compromises," seek more immediate
> international action to curb global warming
>
> • Green Party Speakers Bureau: Greens available to speak on the
> climate crisis, energy policy, and transportation
> http://www.gp.org/speakers/speakers-ecological.php
> http://www.gp.org/speakers/speakers-energy.php
>

> WASHINGTON, DC -- Green Party leaders criticized the Kerry-Boxer draft
> "cap and trade" climate change bill in the US Senate, calling it
> dangerously inadequate as evidence mounts that global warming is
> advancing more rapidly than scientists believed a few years ago.
>
> "While Democrats are calling the Kerry-Boxer bill ambitious and
> far-reaching, the proposed legislation doesn't come close to what we
> need to do now to halt the destruction of our future," said Wes
> Rolley, co-chair of the Green Party's EcoAction Committee.  "When
> President Obama goes to the UN Climate Change Summit, he needs to show
> up with real solutions to cut CO2 emissions and lower energy
> consumption, not with an armful of Kerry-Boxer retreats and
> compromises."
>
> A recent UN report warned that the earth is likely to heat up more
> than 2 degrees Celsius, which could lead to a global catastrophe
> (http://www.unep.org/compendium2009/PDF/
> Compendium2009_fullreport.pdf),
> while the UN Environment Program recently forecast a rise in
> temperature as high as 6.3 degrees Fahrenheit by the century's end
> (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/24/
> AR2009092402602.html).
>  The 2009 UN Climate Change Summit will take place December 7 to 18 in
> Copenhagen (http://en.cop15.dk).
>
> "The White House and Congress have the opportunity to lead the world
> in an immediate, intense, and concerted effort to prevent global
> warming and future wars over dwindling fresh water and other
> resources.  Unfortunately, they're retreating from the most important
> measures required in such an effort.  They're doing so out of
> deference to corporate lobbies," said Mr. Rolley.
>
> Greens said that the bill would only cut emissions by 7% below 1990
> levels by 2020, contrary to a recommendation from the
> Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that developed countries,
> including the US, must reduce emissions by 25%, i.e., by 40% below
> 1990 levels, by 2020.
>
> Greens also warned that the bill would subsidize costly, dangerous,
> and false alternative energy sources.  Nuclear power is a proven
> security risk and threat to the environment.  Carbon capture creates a
> new kind of pollution through the disposal of carbon 'washed' from
> coal and allows coal companies to continue destroying and poisoning
> landscapes in states like West Virginia through mountaintop removal.

<clip>