[Sosfbay-discuss] Cellulose Reinforcement of Arctic Ice Proposed

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Oct 20 13:08:37 PDT 2009

Brian Good wrote:

> http://cannonfire.blogspot.com/2009/10/global-warming-cannon-saves-world.html
>
> Pycrete is sawdust-fortified ice developed during WWII by Geoffrey
> Pyke, who proposed to build aircraft carriers out of it.  It's 5X more
> resistant to melting than natural ice is.
>
> Ice reinforced with strips of newspaper is almost 60 times more
> resistant to melting than natural ice is.

Brian,

There are a hundred scatterd geo-engineering ideas floating around.
Most of them come from someone who heard Spock talk about terra-forming
a dead planet.

Many of them are simplistic solutions to parts of the problem and have
significant risks that far exceed their benefits if any benefits accrue
at all.  It is like Bill Gates suggesting that we tow icebergs into the
paths of developing hurricanes, cooling the oceans at just that point
and reducing the risks of disaster.  Declared to be not very feasible if
for no other reason that it is hard to find an iceberg that is close
enough to where you need it that you can get it there when you need it.
Just because Gates understood the PC market does not mean that he
understands science.

It is good that people think up these ideas and bring them forward.  It
is not very good to get too excited about them because the explanation
sounds good on the surface.

In fact, I am increasingly convinced that the subtitle of Mooney -
Kirshenbaum's book is so apt:  "Unscientific America: *How Scientific
Illiteracy Threatens Our Future*. "

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024