[Sosfbay-discuss] Recruiting for Coordinating Committee

Jim Stauffer jims at greens.org
Sun Oct 25 15:45:38 PDT 2009

Greens -

We are seeking qualified individuals who would like to work with the state
Coordinating Committee (CC) on behalf of our region. The CC is an
administrative and project management body that plans and coordinates the
activities of the party, and that executes decision made by the General
Assembly. The committee description from our bylaws is copied below, and job
descriptions for both the Regional Rep and At-Large Rep seats, written by CC
members, follows that.

The job entails mostly email and teleconferences. You must keep up with the
online proposals and their discussions, and attend the teleconferences to
discuss and vote on the issues. You are also encouraged to involve yourself
with the state party by volunteering to be a liaison between the CC and a
committee or working group. There are also problems and issues needing
resolution that are brought to the CC. You are expected to help with some of
these tasks.

The time commitment depends on how much you want to put into it. A nominal 2-3
hours a week is probably the base. If you enjoy lengthy email discussions,
your time will increase. If you find you enjoy working at the state level,
there's plenty of opportunities to put in more time.

At the state meeting in Sonoma earlier this month a proposal to restructure
the CC was adopted. This changed the structure of the CC from 20 seats (16
region + 4 at-large) to 26 seats (12 region + 14 at-large). We still have our
one regional seat, but now we have the opportunity to fill more at-large
seats. The purpose of this change is to encourage more people from the
counties to become involved in rejuvenating the state party.

Our regional seat needs to be filled by January 2010. My term as regional rep
expired last summer and I want to vacate that seat by the end of the year. We
also like to have an alternate regional rep to sit in whenever the rep is not
able to attend meetings. If you are interested in the regional seat please
inform your county council.

The at-large seats will be filled in an online election after the next General
Assembly. That GA is planned for a Feb/Mar timeframe. I'm assuming there will
be recruiting messages sent out for this. But anyone interested in applying
for an at-large seat can always send a biography and application to the CC
(gpca-cc at cagreens.org).

I do want to emphasize the importance of filling these seats. We are a
decentralized organization. This means that along with building strong locals,
we must also maintain a well-functioning state party. We must, therefore,
accept our share of responsibility for staffing these state party positions.

Feel free to write me or call if you have specific questions.

--
Jim Stauffer
408-432-9148

             FROM THE STATE BYLAWS:

Section 7-1. Coordinating Committee
7 1.1   Duties and Authority
The Coordinating Committee shall be generally responsible for coordinating
meetings, internal communications and other administrative tasks, including
the following:
a)      Establish agenda and select facilitators for general meetings.
b)      Monitor and assist committee work and refer matters to committees.
c)      Request and receive regular reports from committees.
d)      Authorize and ratify specific expenditures
e)      Authorize and carry out the decisions of the GPCA general membership
and make executive decisions (but not set policy) between General Assembly
meetings.
f)      May make statements in the name of the party
g)      Is authorized to retain legal council on behalf of the GPCA.
h)      Is authorized to make decisions which legal counsel advises.

           REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE
          Empirical Job Desrciption

The duties listed here were compiled from the experiences of past Regional
Representatives. Not every representative will have a need to perform every
task. But this shows the breadth of tasks a representative may encounter.

The duties of Green Party of California - Coordinating Committee (GPCA-CC)
Regional Representatives may include:

+  All activities to do with the facilitation and maintenance of active status
(GPCA bylaws Article 4), of the counties in the region.

+  All activities to do with maintaining a pro-active role as a voting member
of the GPCA-CC, not limited to and including GPCA bylaws Art.7 Sec.1.3.

Specific duties:

1.  Activate periodic regional meetings, and/or regional caucus at GPCA
General Assemblies.

2.  Solicit the organization of inactive counties, and provide pro-active
guidance and assistance to counties seeking active status.

3.  Provide pro-active guidance and assistance to counties whose county
organization is in need of support, restructuring or is malfunctioning.

4.  Attend all GPCA-CC meetings, teleconferences, voting sessions, and GPCA
General Assmeblies. Also to maintain participation in GPCA-CC tasks and
committee work. Appoint a standing alternate to attend/vote in case of an
unavoidable absence. It is preferable that the alternate is an ongoing
position (GPCA bylaws Art.7 Sec.1.5), and will assist in the regional reps.
duties.

5.  Be attentive to, and participate in if necessary, the GPCA-CC listserve at
a minimum of twice a week. Those participating without online capabilities
will require additional communication effort (shared computer, library
computer, telephone).

6.  Insure the flow of information between the GPCA and counties.

7.  Help maintain GPCA databases regarding both active and inactive counties,
e.g. county contacts, bylaws, county councils, etc.

8.  Inform the GPAC-CC co-coordinators when communication is interrupted, e.g.
computer failure, vacation, resignation, so that any adjustments necessary can
be made.

9.  Maintain a working knowledge of the GPCA bylaws and platform, and perform
Coordinating Committee duties accordingly.

10.  Encourage personal responsibility by actively recruiting and training GP
members who indicate interest in future regional rep or at-large GPCA-CC
positions.

                AT LARGE REPRESENTATIVE
               Empirical Job Description

The duties of the Green Party Of California - Coordinating Committee (GPCA-CC)
At-Large Representatives include:

All activities to do with maintaining a pro-active role as a voting member of
the GPCA-CC, not limited to and including GPCA bylaws Art.7 Sec.1.3.

Specific duties:

1.  At-large GPCA-CC positions supplement the tasks of the CC beyond those
required of regional representatives.  Those tasks of brief, intense or
sustained work periods, such as: agenda committee, database updates,
maintenance of rosters, ad-hoc committees, etc.  At-large rep. should be
prepared to assist CC/SC/WG co-coordinators as needed.

2.  At-large CC positions supplement regional rep. positions as needed. To
assist, or take a leading role of a regional representative as absences,
emergencies, and work-loads dictate.

3.  Provide pro-active guidance and assistance to ad-hoc committees, SCs and
WGs and locals whose organization is in need of support, restructuring or is
malfunctioning.

4.  Attend all GPCA-CC meetings, teleconferences, voting sessions, and GPCA
General Assemblies.  Inform co-cordinators of impending absences or scheduling
changes in a timely manner, so that any necessary adjustments may be made promptly

5.  Be attentive to, and participate if necessary, in the GPCA-CC listserve at
a minimum of twice a week. Those participating without online capabilities
will require additional communication effort (shared computer, library
computer, telephone).

6.  Inform the GPAC-CC co-coordinators when communication is interrupted, e.g.
computer failure, vacation, resignation, so that any necessary adjustments may
be made promptly.

7.  Maintain a working knowledge of the GPCA bylaws and platform, and perform
Coordinating Committee duties accordingly.

8.  Encourage personal responsibility, and cultivate truly interested greens,
by actively recruiting and training GP members who indicate interest in future
GPCA-CC regional rep or at-large rep, standing committee or working group
positions.