[Sosfbay-discuss] Green Party Meeting, September 2, 2009

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Thu Sep 3 16:59:10 PDT 2009

                      Green Party Meeting--September 2, 2009

Present: Andrea, Fred, Merriam, Brian, Warner, Jim Stauffer, Jim Doyle, Gerry, Dana, Tian, Caroline
Introductions
Fred: Read an article on "think tanks" and was surprised that only 16% were deemed "liberal."

Merriam: Wants us to join  Donna and Darlene on Mondays, at San Carlos and Market in San Joe (I'm assuming maybe not this coming Monday, Labor Day, because we will still be hauling off stuff from Tapestry Arts). Their demonstation is in support of Palestinians.

Brian (I didn't get this. Brian, if you want everybody to know what this was, please post it)

Warner: Received applause for the beautiful heirloom tomatoes he raised from our seeds and brought to share. He thinks we should get more seeds. He also said people who are getting sick of republicans and democrats are calling hi. He got a confirmation from one caller that he is joining the Green Party. He also mentioned the International Peace Bazaar at De Anza on Oct. 22. We are invited to go and table.

Jim Doyle: leftover drinks from picnic available for small donation.

Jim S, Gerry and Dana, and Caroline: no announcements
Tian: Glad the picnic turned out so well.

Andrea: Richard Lau invited us to the Cold War Museum at the Marin Headland on Sept. 5.
We will be busy at Tapestry Arts. Raging Grannies are urging people to call our elected representatives to support Single Payer or at least a public option.

Facilitator--Warner
Time Keeper--Fred
Vibes Watcher--Tian
Note Taker--Caroline

Tapestry Arts this weekend Jim Doyle
We need more people to work. Jom has made up a schedule that includes phone numbers, so, if there is a problem, we can call somebody to help fill in. SO TAKE YOUR CELL PHONES, AND TURN THEM ON,
Saturday 9:00-10:00 Warner and Caroline will set up. Caroline will hang around for a bit
10:00-2:00 Jim Stauffer will be alone, unless someone else volunteers
2:00-6:00 Brian and Cameron
Sunday 10:00-2:00 Warner is alone
2:00-6:00 Eric and Tian (and Valerie?)
Monday 10:00-2:00 Gerry and Dana
2:00-takedown Merriam and Caroline (and anyone else who cares to come help)
Phone numbers:
Jim  (408)432-9148
Brian   (650)327-6214
Warner (408)295-9353
Eric (408)448-6726
Tian (650)964-6481
Valerie (408)261-3703
Caroline (408)530-0118
Drew  (408)773-9036  cell (408)480-0327
Merriam (408)482-6032

Andrea will make up a flyer on Single Payer. Jim D. will take paperwork for getting in to Tapestry to Warner.

County Council Meeting:    Andrea
CC meetings for the rest of 2009:  September 20, October 19th, November 15th, no meeting in December.
Tabling contacts culled from the notebooks will be electronically set up by Valerie, with Merriam, and Tian to be in charge of those lists. Caroline will file hard copies.
We need to add 2 CC members and 2 advisors to the Sclara-cc chat list. Tian will talk to Cameron.
Letter to Honda--consensus reached at picnic with 5 of 7 CC members present.
We reached consensus on letter to Lofgren. Merriam will tell Smriti

Treasurer's Report: Jim Doyle
Current balance: $1,630.91
Picnic: Gross  $71  Net $39
Hat passing for this evening $77

Request for volunteers, affirmations of delegates and alternates for October 10-11 Plenary in Cotati: Warner
We cannot wait until next meeting to name delegaes and alternates, for the plenary, because their names need to be on-line the day of our next meeting.
Andrea volunteered.
Dana will be an alternate
Jim Stauffer and Warner will be there.
Warner will post announcement asking for volunteers. Deadline September 15. County Council will affirm and send in names at the meeting on September 20.
Warner will have a meeting to go over the plenary packet at his house, Sunday, Oct. 4, from 2:00-4:00. If you want to read the packet, you will have to get the password from somebody.

Regional Business: Jim Stauffer
San Mateo isn't doing well. Jim thought we might have a regional meeting.He wants to resign. We need a new regional rep. Jim will invite the San Mateo CC to meet with us. He will come to the CC meeting on Sept. 20.The CC restructuring proposal at the upcoming state meeting may affect the timing of the regional rep election.
IRV-- Jim Stauffer
Jim wants us to endorse the IRV (Instant run-off) program in San Jose. The Santa Clara County Green Party can do this. Jim will bring IRV materials to pass out this weekend.

Valerie's Proposal
Valerie proposed that we join the Sanra Clara County Coalition for Alternatives to the Death Penalty. We had a good discussion about it. Warner said it is consistent with our  platform.Jim Doyle pointed out that part of joining the Coalition was agreeing to have a representative at their meetings. We thought Valerie would go, but, since she wasn't present, Merriam, Tian, and Gerry agreed to go sometimes. We reached consensus on this. I'm not sure who is responsible for signing and returning the form.

Volunteer Opportunities--Jim Doyle
Jim posted a list of positions on commissions that are open. Mike Fischetti is on the Health Advisory Committee. (Everyone cheered)
. Merriam and Andrea are going to look into something related to water. Anyone interested in any of these opportunities should look up Jim's previous e-mail.

Tabling Events  Jim Doyle
Sept 4-6 Tapestry Arts-- we will be on Market, if you can't sign up for hours, at least come by and give somebody a break

Sept. 12-13--Mt View  Art and Wine wear your Green shirt and wander around. If you want to hand out stuff, you must go to the Free Speech Zone.

Sept. 19--Santa Teresa Fest--Andrea and Caroline setting up before 9:00 It opens at11:00. Tian will come around noon and will stay until 5:00 to help Caroline take the stuff down--unless someone with a spacious car wants to come and relieve Caroline and help Tian take the stuff down.

Sept 26--Willow Glen Founders Parade form 10:30-noon. We are too late to get in the parade, but you can go and wander around, wear your Green shirt, pass out something.

October 22-De Anza

Holiday Peace Fair, first weekend in December

Merriam would like us to get a table at the San Pedro Square Farmer's Market some Friday. It would be a good place to push IRV, but tables cost $40-$45.

Oct. 9--SJ Peace Center Open House for SJSU students.Tian will go, explain Green Party and pass out literature

Oct 24--350--MUCH MORE LATER--get your thinking cap on to come up with a way we can be 350. Something that would get media attention. This is a Global action. For more info go to 350.org.

California Fair Elections Campaign--Fred
Fred, Andrea, Roy, and Brian went to the meeting. Fred spoke for the Green Party.
There seems to be some feeling that this does not really offer the Green Party a way to break into politics big time. It will only be used in 2014 for the Secretary of State race. Jim D. says we ought to come up with a candidate and start raising money. Brian feels that we should be able to come up with the requisite number of donations/signature in four years.

New member interested in Green Party--Merriam
Aiesha is interested in becoming an active Green. She came to our table on Juneteenth. She came to our picnic. She is screening documentaries for her neighbors at her local library. Jane Bark in Fremont, who also does screenings, will work with her. Aiesha wants to be involved in our Green Fair (which we have put off until March), and will help with  the next Town Hall.

Writing Articles and Letters--Fred
Fred would like us to write letters to the editor and articles about Green subjects. We didn't get too far into this, but he wants it on the agenda for the next meeting. Be thinking of things you could write.

Jim Doyle will write the agenda for the October meeting. Send him your ideas for great new things we can do to get noticed and be effective. Think about 350.