[Sosfbay-discuss] campaign finance - supreme court

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Sep 8 22:10:53 PDT 2009

Jim Doyle wrote:
> Sotomayor and the rest of the court will return Wednesday for the argument in a key case about campaign finance law.
>
> What is this case about?
A business man produced an extremely negative "documentary" of the life
of Hilary Clinton.  It was not allowed to be broadcast during the
election cycle as a violation of limits on campaign contributions within
a certain number of days before an election.

The business man claimed it was a matter of free speech.. a guarantee to
all citizens.

However, the legal owner of the material was not the man himself, but
rather a corporation that he had set up to fund and produce the
documentary.  This makes the case really one about corporate personhood
and whether such free speech guarantees that we as citizens enjoy can
also be enjoyed by corporations.

It is a very, very major case and Greens should be paying a lot more
attention to it.

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024