[Sosfbay-discuss] whole foods boycott side effects

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 9 11:01:44 PDT 2009

asdfadf

John Mackey’s views on health care, much as I disagree with them, will
not prevent
me from shopping at Whole Foods.

I can understand why people would want to boycott,
but it’s important to play out the hypothetical consequences of a
successful boycott.

Whole Foods is not perfect, however if they were to disappear, the cause
of improving
Americans’ health by building an alternative food system, based on more
fresh food,
pastured and humanely raised meats and sustainable agriculture, would
suffer.

I happen to believe health care reform has the potential to drive big
changes in the food system,
and to enlist the health care industry in the fight to reform
agriculture. How? Because if
health insurers can no longer pick and choose their clients, and throw
sick people out,
they will develop a much stronger interest in prevention, which is to
say, in changing the
way America feeds itself.

When health insurers realize they will make thousands more in profits
for every case of
type II diabetes they can prevent, they will develop a strong interest
in things like corn
subsidies, local food systems, farmer’s markets, school lunch, public
health
campaigns about soda, etc.

So Mackey is wrong on health care, but Whole Foods is often right
about food, and their support for the farmers matters more to me than
the political views of their
founder. I haven’t examined the political views of all the retailers who
feed me, but I can imagine
having a lot of eating problems if I make them a litmus test.

source: http://www.newmajority.com/a-reply-from-michael-pollan