[Sosfbay-discuss] Pacifica Elections - KPFA, WBAI, KPFK

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 10 02:21:26 PDT 2009

   I sent this out a couple of months ago.  Here's a reminder....

   I'd like to recommend two candidates I know from the local Accountability
movement at Stanford,  Adam Hudson and Shara Esbenshade, both running
for the Local Station Board.

    Adam is  a senior  from Pittsburg, California.  He's majoring in international
relations, studying Arabic, and plans to be a muckraking lawyer.  He is
highly skilled in dealing with the bullshit of action group dynamics.

   Shara is a sophomore who  became involved in independent media in
Champaign, Illinois while still in high school and has been active in labor rights
and the anti-war movement.  With experience in radio, online newspapers,
and online film distribution, Shara wants to facilitate interactive online
programming at KPFA.

   From Adam's statement:

   "The people on these boards represent listeners, staff and
volunteers in reviewing the station budget, choosing a station manager,
selecting Pacifica National Board members and making sure Pacifica
sticks to its mission of providing a media voice to the community it
represents....I
believe in the effectiveness of independent media outlets, such as
KPFA, of raising awareness about issues and perspectives that rarely
get heard in corporate media outlets and would like to see the station
do more in reaching out to young people and minority communities."

  From Shara's statement:

    "Independent media ... strengthens grassroots
collective action both through the practice of creating such media and
through the information and culture that.... reflects and nurtures
grassroots activism.... I want to serve as a listener delegate on the
local KPFA board to help make systemic changes to ensure a truly
democratic and sustainable way of decision-making within the local
radio station because the democratic process is not only as important
as the output on the air, but it informs that output.... I will spread
awareness about the importance of independent radio, involve youth in
its process, and will create discussion to bring the ideas and feedback
of youth to the local board."

   I don't listen to radio myself, because I find  linear real-time
data transfer
to be an inefficient process.  I like random access--such as you get in a
newspaper or
magazine.  I therefore find Shara's suggestion intriguing that
KPFA improve their
internet infrastructure, because it would allow the
listener to
choose which stories s/he listens to and when.

Brian