[Sosfbay-discuss] whole foods boycott side effects

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Mon Sep 14 22:39:14 PDT 2009

For me boycotting whole paycheck is business as usual. They charge
too much in my opinion. That's why I go to the farmers market for just
about everything I can. Do the vendors provide health care? Probably
not for many of them, but they work for themselves, which is good enough
for me.

I'm thinking what we should boycott is products that came off assembly
lines. Whole Paycheck is full of that stuff, another reason to boycott
them. Mountain View's Milk Pail Dairy has a good bulk food section.
So does Molly Stones.

Tian

Andrea Dorey wrote:
> My problem is that he makes a profit from a business (food supply)
> that should not be a considered a human right to get.  Not that HIS
> company has to do that, but that ANY supplier (such as nonprofits)
> should not have to supply the starving as a human right.  The man has
> no compassion.
>
> The boycotters who implemented this, BTW, have long been debating
> doing this do to this guy's tactics against unions and other labor
> issues.  Not a nice player, he is.  For that reason as well, I
> decided that they (the boycotters) are right.  And so have decided a
> few thousand others in our area.
> Andrea
>
> On Sep 13, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
>
>>> From: Andrea Dorey <andid at cagreens.org>
>>> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:15:58 -0700
>>> To: Jim Doyle <j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net>
>>> Cc: sosfbay discussion group <sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Sosfbay-discuss] whole foods boycott side effects
>>> Jim Doyle's [sic] rationale for continuing to shop at Whole Foods,
>>> much as  =
>>> I agree with his logic, will NOT keep me from boycotting Whole Foods.
>>> I am quite offended by the CEO's arrogance in proclaiming that a
>>> good  =
>>> Andrea
>> Nader has argued if you were serious about boycotting evildoers
>> you'd have to withdraw from the modern economy.  I think it's
>> a matter of degree.  You should withdraw from the parts that
>> offend you most.
>> I also think it's a mistake to think of Mackey as in control
>> of Whole Foods and its behaviors.  The situations in food retailing
>> and antitrust non-enforcement demanded that one company become
>> "the Walmart of organic groceries."  There was a strong vacuum from
>> that empty niche in the economy.  Whole Foods just happened to
>> get there first and Mackey just happened to be CEO.

>> I believe the quote (below) by Jim is from Michael Pallan.
>> He has a point.  Insurance companies broke the unanimous
>> denialism among large corporations that the current climate change
>> is manmade.
>> Chink in the armor, whatever that means.

>> Cameron

Tian
http://tian.greens.org
On a window sill of Mountain View's city hall sits a yellow rubber duck.
On the breast of the duck is this black text: "City of Mountain View".