[Sosfbay-discuss] Fw: September 2009 Greenline

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Fri Sep 18 18:45:17 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 9/18/09, shane que hee <squehee at ucla.edu> wrote:

From: shane que hee <squehee at ucla.edu>
Subject: September 2009 Greenline
Date: Friday, September 18, 2009, 1:17 PM

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:08:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Green Party of the United States <gphq at gp.org>

Take Action Now!Back to GP.org

Ballot Access Season Never Ends...We Need You!

Several state Green Parties are working to win ballot access and you can help!  You can help take the next step to getting Green Party candidates on the ballot in all 50 states in 2012 today.  We currently need your help in:

Illinois.  The Illinois Green Party must collect 5,000 signatures for its 2010 candidates before November 2nd.  Download the party's petition or get in touch with the ILGP at www.ilgp.org.

Arizona.  The Arizona Green Party must collect just over 20,000 signatures to win full party recogniation from the state.  As the weather starts to get cool, imagine spending time in sunny, warm Arizona helping petition on behalf of the AZGP.  Contact the Arizona Green party here to help out.

Arkansas.  Despite electing a Green to the state legislature and polling over 20% in a U.S. Senate race in 2008, the Green Party of Arkansas must once again petition for ballot access.  The party has filed a lawsuit - its third ballot access suit since 2001 - challenging this exclusionary interpretation of state law.  You can read more about this ACLU-supported lawsuit and how you can help it move forward at www.arkgreens.org.

Hawaii - The Green Party of Hawaii is currently gathering signatures to retain the ballot access it won in 2008.  Stay tuned to GreenLine to learn more about how you can help.

Maryland - The Maryland Green Party is preparing for its 2010 petition drive.  State law requires the party to collect 10,000 signatures, but the party must collect many more this year due to new, stricter verification requirements.  The party is responding by working with legislators to introduce bills to clarify the verification procedure and lower the signature requirement.  Visit www.mdgreens.org/petition to find out how you can help the effort.

There are many ways to contribute.  If you live in or near a state that is currently collecting signatures, you can hit the street and start petitioning.  Make sure to talk to your local party contact or petition coordinator first.  If your state currently doesn't have ballot access or has to overcome exclusionary rules to win ballot access, talk to your state party leadership about legislation or litigation that could make it easier to get Green Party candidates.

Candidates Need Your Help

Our candidates who have made the ballot for 2009 elections need your support as well!  Consider making a donation, making phone calls or going door-to-door on behalf of a candidate in your area, or writing a letter of support to the editor of your local paper.  To find a candidate near you, visit the Green Party's comprehensive election database, where you can search the list of Green candidates by state.

In the Minneapolis area Marcus Harcus is running for City Council, Ward 4, on a platform of fair housing, sustainable economic development, and community safety.  You can make a donation or read more about his campaign.

In Minneapolis's 8th District, Jeanine Estime is running on a platform of education and youth programming, sustainable economic development, and civil rights.  You can make a contribution or read more about her campaign.

In California, Michael McCue is running in a special election for Los Angeles City Council's 2nd District. The vote will be held next week on September 22nd.  Visit Michael's website at www.McCueFor2.com now to learn what you can do to get Michael on the LA City Council next week.

On the East Coast, David Marshall is running for re-election to his seat on the Portland (ME) City
Council (2nd District).  You can check his blog and read more about his re-election race.

Help support all of our Green Party candidates by giving your financial support and your time to
their campaigns.

Annual National Meeting News

The Annual National Meeting Committee is pleased to announce a summary report of participant feedback from the 2009 meeting n Durham, North Carolina.  Overall, the meeting was well-regarded by participants, who came to Durham to network with other Greens.  The two most popular events were the screening of the film Coal Country and the Saturday night fundraiser with the North Carolina Green Party.  You can see videos of the some of the workshop and plenary sessions at http://www.gp.org/video/durham.shtml. You can read the full report here.

The ANMC is also quite pleased to report that the meeting was a financial success, raising over $8,000 for the Green Party of the United States (GPUS).  "We didn't intend to make this much money off the meeting," said ANMC Co-Chair Hillary Kane, "but we were able to negotiate some last-minute deals with our host at North Carolina Central University.  We had also cut back our spending in anticipation of low attendance.  The unexpected savings and last minute registrations really put us over the top!"  And, we raised an additional $2500 for GPUS from the silent auction, Friday/Saturday night events and from other donations.

In other news, Wayne Turner, Co-Chair of the North Carolina Green Party, has been elected as Co-Chair of the Annual National Meeting Committee, serving alongside Hillary Kane of Pennsylvania.  He is filling the seat recently vacated by Matt Abel of Michigan.  There go all the "Kane and Abel" jokes...

Plans are also underway with the Green Party of Michigan for next year's Annual Meeting in Detroit. The Green Party of Michigan was the only state party to sumbit a letter of interest by the August deadline but you can rest assured they have big plans and exciting ideas to coordinate the Green Party's meeting with the U.S. Social Forum in late June 2010.  Stay tuned for details...

Sunflower T-Shirts Still on Sale

Visit our online store now to pick up some new Green Party items. Because of your demand, we now carry long-sleeve Green Party logo t-shirts.  Perfect for fall!  These shirts, like all of our apparel, are union-made in the USA.

Our olive green Sunflower t-shirts are still on sale!  For only $15, pick up a thick cotton t-shirt with a bright yellow Sunflower logo and "gp.org" on the front.  The back features the Four Pillars of the Green Party - Non-Violence, Grassroots Democracy, Ecological Wisdom, and Social Justice in Spanish.

Don't forget to pick up 100 copies of the latest issue of Green Pages - the newspaper of the Green Party of the United States - for a low price of only 30 cents a issue!  That's twenty pages of news, profiles of Greens working across the country on a variety of issues, analysis of current controversies, and other thoughts on Green values.  Order a bundle today!

You Can Help Us Reach Our Goal

Help us reach the goal we set last month at our national meeting of funding our operations with the help of 500 sustainers giving $10,000 a month by the end of 2009.  Sustaining pledges of $10 or $20 a month from everyone who reads this message will let us do so much more to support campaigns, candidates, state Green Parties, and our own national outreach efforts.  Click here to become a sustaining donor to the Green Party today!

If you are unable to give a monthly gift please donate what you can today to strengthen our voice so that we can make our vision a reality.  With your help we can provide support for candidates, spread the Green message and work for a more just and sustainable world.  If you have given recently, please consider giving more.  And, if you haven't given in some time, please consider making today the day you give.

The Green Party takes no money from private health insurance providers or pharmaceutical lobbyists. In fact, we don't take any corporate money because we think corporate money in politics is wrong. If you agree, please help us today. Your donation to the Green Party will help make sure we have a strong Green party today and into the future.

Email: gpinfo at gp.org

unsubscribe

Office: PO Box 57065 Washington, D.C. 20037 202-319-7191 or toll-free (US): 866-41GREEN

We are not the alternative - we are the imperative. Rosa Clemente