[Sosfbay-discuss] Feinstein hears from single-payer advocates

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 18:03:35 PDT 2009

I recently got a response from Feinstein's office regarding her position on health insurance reform. The generic message was inspiring in a way, because it specifically addresses single-payer, which means that there are enough emails to her office to generate such a specific response. Check out what DiFi has to say:
Dear Mr. Chow: Thank you for writing to me to express your support for a single payer option in healthcare reform legislation. I appreciate the time you took to write on this critical issue, and I welcome this opportunity to respond. I am delighted that you support healthcare reform, as do I. The key is to find a healthcare plan that provides coverage, as well as limits costs. My colleagues in the Senate and I have been working on this, but it is a difficult issue and must be carefully thought out. I hope that when the Senate Committee on Finance considers a healthcare reform proposal, the Committee will pass a bill which will lay out a way in which we can accomplish these goals and can be effectively merged with the bill passed by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. I strongly believe that any healthcare reform legislation should prohibit coverage denial based on preexisting conditions. Reducing healthcare costs is
 absolutely essential. Between 2000 and 2007, combined profits for 10 of the country's largest publically traded insurance companies rose 428 percent. I believe that a way to control those costs is by instituting a public option, a nonprofit cooperative model, or a regulatory authority to achieve limit cost increases. However, many Americans are happy with the coverage they have now, and I am concerned that a move to a single payer healthcare system would change the whole system. I believe that health reform should build on our employer-based system and the millions of Americans who are satisfied with their health coverage should be able to keep their benefits. Please know that I am working hard to make healthcare affordable for all Americans, and that I will keep your comments in mind as I continue to review healthcare reform proposals in the Senate. Again, thank you for contacting me. If you should have any further comments or questions, please feel
 free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.
Sincerely yours,Dianne Feinstein
        United States Senator
Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/.