[Sosfbay-discuss] Fwd: County Council meeting, Sept. 20, 2009

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Thu Sep 24 17:22:40 PDT 2009

Present: Jim Doyle, Jim Stauffer, Tian Brian, Caroline

Jim Doyle will be our "official" address to the Secretary of State until his term is up.

We need to adhere more closely to agendas. If things come up that are not on the agenda, they should be put off until the next meeting. We will not sneak things in during introductions and announcments. Therefore 1) if you have something you want discussed at the next meeting, send it to Jim Doyle soon; 2) we will ALWAYS identify the person who will make the next agenda. That will be the final agenda item. So, if you want to know who to send agenda items to, read the minutes. We will also make a report from the County Council and a "state of the state party" report from the regional rep. be regular agenda items.

We had a lengthy discussion about possibly endorsing a candidate for Sunnyvale City Council. We decided we don't have time to go through the proper process for this.

Tabling materials.
We need more half sheet contact information sheets, more IRV , Health Care, Peace, Marriage Equality, and Environmental specifics. Everyone agreed that the flyer Valerie made for the yard sale and picnic is great. We need a new one for upcoming activities.  Tian said we should have a flyer asking people to run for office. We have the De Anza peace bazaar and Junior State coming up. Tian will work on tabling items targeted for these events.

Our Green builders Roy and Tim need work. Can we conjure up a project for them? Jim D. mentioned the solar panels being put on Milpitas schools. Tian said people are putting solar panels on parking garages in Mt. View. Could we try to drum up some business for them?

We are almost breaking even. We have taken in $1600 and spent $1700. We don't have money for a mailing ($2500). If we started planning now. we  could get out a mailing by the June election. It has been suggested that we call people and ask for donations. Caroline refuses to do this, but she has committed to calling 100 people to get their email addresses. Perhaps if they realize how much a mailing would cost, they would be glad to give us their email addresses so we could advise them of upcoming events and issues. Drupal contains a list of registered Green from 2008.

Jim S. said that if we go down to the Registrar of Voters every couple of months, they will give us contact information for new Greens. If we get them while they're fresh, perhaps we can get them involved. Some ideas for things they could do are:
1. attend local board meetings2.petitioning
3. make schwag
4. be involved in showing a film at the Peace Center. Brian will talk to Merriam about showing "Occupation 101". A recruit could be part of setting up, promoting, taking down.
5. Think up new projects, be involved with yard sale, Green Fair, Food 4 Thought.
6. Getting letters or notices of events into newspapers.
  We can go to one of Aiesha's film. See about when and where it is. Make sure some of us go. Jim D. will see about this.

UPCOMING TABLING EVENTS REQUIRING COORDINATORS
International peace bazaar at De Anza, November 19
Junior State --November 21 (no heavy lifting required)
Peace Fair--Saturday, December 5 (no heavy lifting required)

Upcoming vacancies on County Council and Regional Rep.
Jim Doyle and Caroline will not be running, so we need more candidates. Tian will be the big "pusher" for getting people to run for cc.  Jim Stauffer wants us to find a candidate, because his term is up and he would like to leave office.

We will be having a regional get-together with San Mateo on September 29.