[GPSCC-chat] Is a "Birther" Refusing to Deploy to Afghanistan a conscientious objector?

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 08:45:03 PDT 2010

Dear Friends,

Cathy Deppe, a longtime civil rights/peace activist, and also my wife, quarreled with me about this curious news.  A anti-Obama "Birther" refuses to deploy to Afghanistan on the ground that Barack Obama is not the legitimate commander-in-chief.

Should this guy be considered a conscientious objector?

Cathy says: "NO! HE'S A RACIST WACKO!"

Alex says: "YES! HE IS A CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR!"

As support for the Vietnam War sunk to zero in the 1970s, a lot of Americans concocted racist explanation for opposition. They said things like: "All those Vietnamese bastards are not worth one American life."

Today, I refuse to support "Mr. Obama's War" even if some people have a need to oppose "Mr. Obama's War" for the wrong reasons.  If too many Americans still won't "come out of the closet" as full-blown antiwar activists, that tragic situation is as much our failure as anyone else.

What do you think?

Alex Walker

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/04/14/army-to-court-martial-officer-who-doubts-obama-was-born-in-u-s/

Posted on AOL News, April 14, 2010.

Army to Court Martial Officer Who Doubts Obama Was Born in U.S.

The Army will court martial a lieutenant colonel who refuses to deploy to Afghanistan because he won't accept orders from President Obama, whom he considers unqualified to be commander in chief, military officials said Wednesday.

Army doctor Lt. Col. Terry Lakin believes Obama wasn't born in the United States, and therefore does not meet the constitutional requirements to be president, NBC News reported.

Lakin refused to report to Fort Campbell, Ky., for deployment to Afghanistan, and instead showed up at the Pentagon, where he was informed that he would face court martial. His Pentagon building pass and government laptop computer were seized.

The 18-year Army veteran is under investigation for failure to report for deployment and for conduct unbecoming an officer, The Associated Press reported.

. . .