[GPSCC-chat] "Food, Inc." on PBS Tonight 9PM

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 17:41:55 PDT 2010

http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/

The film shows what's been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our
government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our mechanized food supply
 is controlled by corporations that often put profit
ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, workers' safety,  and the environment. Along with bigger-breasted
chickens, perfect pork chops, insecticide-resistant soybean seeds,
and tomatoes that won't go bad we get new strains of E. coli, which sickens 73,000
Americans annually. We are riddled with obesity and diabetes.

Among those interviewed are Eric Schlosser ("Fast Food
Nation") and Michael Pollan ("The Omnivore's Dilemma").

On a related note, Mark Morford points out that the big health insurance companies own $2 billion in stock in the fast-food industry.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/04/21/notes042110.DTL
"The more successful McDonald's is, the sicker the nation gets, the
higher your insurance premiums will skyrocket, the more drugs you will
demand, the less willpower you will have, the more you will crave toxic
garbage 'comfort food,' the more you will believe you're a victim, the
less control you will have over the your body and your life, the happier
 these companies will be. And lo, the circle of life continues. Until
your heart collapses."