[GPSCC-chat] S.F. Bank Action Tuesday, and more

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Apr 25 20:59:06 PDT 2010

HI, Gerry, et al.:

       We are organizing a "Take Your Money and Run" effort here in
Santa Clara County.  Anyone concerned may want to attend a "Food for
Thought" event being organized for Saturday, May 22.  It will start at 5
PM with snacks followed by dinner 5:15 - 6 PM, music 6 - 6:30 PM, then
presentations and associated discussion 6:30 - 7:30 PM on Props 14 and
15 and on abusive banks and what we can do.  Location to be announced
later.

       I'm supposed to draft something for an announcement for the next
Santa Clara County Green meeting, May 5th, 2010.  Merriam Kathleen is (I
think) the primary organizer.  My role will be to provide some of the
"raw meat" (figuratively), but I'd be pleased to have some help.  My two
primary agendas for this are as follows:

             1.  Select a sensible, local alternative host for our
checking account.  We currently bank with Wells Fargo.  We will leave as
quickly as we can select someplace else to go to.  We thought that this
is a task that would be better done with a group of like-minded people
who can share the work of researching alternatives, so we are less
likely to leave one unacceptable bank for something worse.

             2.  Find an organization to host a "Green Credit Card" with
a contract that is half a page of simple English, easily understood and
sensible.  The credit card I use the most is with United Services
Automobile Association, but as far as I know, only accept current and
former military and their families as clients.  We like them because
they are a coop, not a corporation, they've treated us sensibly for over
40 years, and we get a slight rebate on our credit card bills.  The
"Green Credit Card" idea is partly to encourage people to "Take the
pledge:  No credit card debt."

       If you want to reduce the bonuses senior banking executives give
themselves, do not bank with a major bank, do not carry any credit card
debt, and find a company that offers more sensible credit card service.

        More broadly, I believe that to grow the Green party, we need to
become a social movement first and a political party second.  This is a
first step in that direction.

       Comments?

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves