[GPSCC-chat] Consistent Life Ethic: ban the bomb, not the baby?

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.sj.ca.us
Mon Apr 26 08:03:37 PDT 2010

Where abortion is illegal, a pregnant woman becomes the worst kind of
slave to the state.

There are political disagreements where one can compromise with one's
opponents.  For me, the woman's right of self determination, which includes
the right to abortion on demand, isn't one of those.  I'm not
interested in compromising with people who think chattel slavery
is okay.  I don't care whether their support for slavery is grounded
in religion or intuition or indoctrination.  I know it's not grounded
in science, nor in respect for widely recognized human rights.

I'm afraid conditions will pertain for the forseeable future where
women become pregnant against their will.  And there will always
be people whose religion, whether they call it that or not, drives
them to try to use the force of the state to deny those women their
self determination.  You don't need rights to do stuff that nobody
wants you to stop you from doing.  Freedom of speech is for
unpopular speech.  Freedom of religion includes freedom *from*
religion, especially state sponsored religion.  Access to safe
abortions is for women pregnant against their will faced with
the ultimate loss of liberty.

-Cameron