[GPSCC-chat] Anaerobic Digestion at Palo Alto Council Meeting URGENT

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Wed Aug 4 13:22:46 PDT 2010

Friends,

Four months ago we successfully convinced the Palo Alto City Council to commission a feasibility study for an anaerobic digestion facility at the City landfill.  We believe this study will find that such a technology would generate enough green energy for 1,400 homes, keep 20,000 tons of greenhouse gases out of the atmosphere, and save the City more than $1 million per year - http://www.pagreenenergy.org

But now our victory is being threatened by our opponents who dread the thought of a thorough environmental and cost/benefits analysis.  They're attempting to use a vote to hire the consultant for the feasibility study to kill the process by convincing just one of our supporters to switch his/her vote (it was a 5-4 decision to support the study in April).  If they're successful, the process will be over.

The Council meeting is tomorrow night at 6pm, and the agenda is at http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=23604

Please take a moment ASAP to encourage Council to stay the course and approve the contract for the feasibility study.  You can email all the Council Members at once at city.council at cityofpaloalto.org

Also, if you're able to attend the meeting, it always helps to have supporters in the audience, and speakers are even better.

Thank you for weighing in.

-Peter

Peter Drekmeier
pdrekmeier at earthlink.net