[GPSCC-chat] Iowa may bring criminal charges in foreclosures scandal

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Wed Dec 15 04:26:36 PST 2010

Hello:

       Please see the excerpt and web link below regarding possible
criminal prosecutions in the robo-signing scandal.  If we act
appropriately to support coalitions on this issue, I believe this issue
could decimate both the Republican and Democratic parties.

       What do you think about trying to work with MoveOn and other
groups to help organize a national (and maybe international) campaign to
pressure prosecutors to seriously investigate "banking irregularities"
such as the robo-signing scandal.  The "robo-signers" reportedly signed
documents whereby they swore "under penalty of perjury" that certain
procedures had been followed that clearly had not been followed.  Per
Wikipedia, perjury is a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.  I
sympathize with the low level banking employees who signed those
documents, but I also sympathize with the individual home owners who are
being deprived of their homes, illegally it now appears.  The
investigations should NOT stop with the low level bank employees who
signed those documents:  It should also extend all the way up the
management chain right to the senior executives, who awarded themselves
millions of taxpayer dollars for successfully stampeding the politicians
into massive corporate welfare, because evidently, the middle managers
and senior executives conspired to commit thousands of cases of
perjury.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse:  Whether they did or not,
they should have known that they were pushing low level employees, under
threat of losing their jobs or at least missing the next pay raise and
promotion, to commit perjury.

       Similarly, I believe this movement should demand that prosecutors
similarly investigate conspiracy to defraud the public when they
encouraged loan applicants to lie in their applications for what are now
called "Liars' loans":  Such actions by banking executives constituted
conspiracy to commit fraud at a level that amounted to grand larceny of
trillions of dollars world wide, forcing millions of people in the US to
lose their jobs, their homes, their dreams of providing a college
education for their children, etc.  By comparison, grand theft auto is
minor.

       By Kay Henderson
DES MOINES, Iowa | Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:34pm EST
(Reuters) - Iowa's attorney general, who is leading a nationwide probe
of questionable home foreclosures, met with struggling homeowners on
Tuesday and said he may bring criminal charges in his state.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BD6JT20101214

       Comments?
       Spencer

--