[GPSCC-chat] Dozens Leap to Their Deaths in Bangladeshi Garment Factory Fire

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:46:06 PST 2010

  AP (Boston Globe) says a local journalist passed on reports that a locked gate in a stairway
trapped people.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2010/12/15/dozens_die_in_bangladesh_t_shirt_factory_fire/

  The Guardian says "The fire comes after repeated warnings about fire safety at factories
 making clothes for western retailers."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/14/bangladesh-clothes-factory-workers-jump-to-death

  The New Zealand Herald says the factory makes clothes for The GAP and JC Penny.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10694583
   The fire happened just four months before the 100th anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory firein New York City, in which 146 young garment workers died, many by leaping from the 9th floor.
   I guess I won't be shopping at the GAP in a big hurry.