[GPSCC-chat] Fw: GP HP Printer?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Dec 19 18:31:19 PST 2010

Hello:

       Might anyone provide space for the Green Party Printer?  If it
doesn't find another home in the next few days, it may go to a place
that recycles old electronics.

       It's a large HP color laser printer.  Caroline said it's bigger
than a washing machine but smaller than a refrigerator.  It's currently
sitting in Andrea's garage, and she needs it moved before ~January 1,
preferably sooner.  If you have space, we might be able to get others to
move it.

       Cameron hooked it to a router so it could be used as a network
printer.  By comparison, he said a new desktop color laser that prints
roughly 3 times as fast can be purchased for perhaps $250 today.  A
toner cartridge set runs roughly $125 and lasts perhaps 40,000 sheets.
If those numbers are accurate, then toner is roughly 3 cents per page.
This makes it much cheaper than color ink jet -- and cheaper than color
copies at a copy shop.  If you wanted the current GP printer, the party
would pay for the toner to print GP literature.

       Cameron suggested we give it to a place that recycles old
electronics if no one wants it.

       Comments?
       Spencer

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD