[Sosfbay-discuss] How Did Party in Berkeley Go? Anybody Get a Good Picture of Deacon Alexander?

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 18:00:53 PST 2010

  There were about 60 to 80 people.  Looks like everybody had a good time.  Tian, Cameron, Tom, and Carol were there, and Dave Heller, and Ray Tobey looking very Republican in a suit.  I didn't really know anybody else and I pretty much sat back and watched.  Some of the people I had seen before, probably at John Yoo demonstrations.

   I was disappointed that so many people abused the strategy session to
engage in long rambling reminiscences and I fell asleep twice during
that.  I'd had little sleep the night before, and because my car had broken down on the trip up I stank of antifreeze, so I didn't feel very sociable, and I didn't even think of bringing up my strategy issues:

   1.  A public finance (Prop 15) campaign would be a great organizing vehicle.  If we get just 15,000 $5 donations we get a million dollars to run a professional Secretary of State campaign, just like a real party.  If paid staffers choose to use their pay for political activities these funds could be a real energizer for the party.  Since we have 111,000 registered Greens today, if we can't get the 15k donors in four years we should just give up.

   2.  Campaign Finance reform.  The average congressional rep takes in $1.5 million per election, and according to Lawrence Lessig, spends 40% to 60% of her time raising that money which, because of gerrymandered safe seats, they don't need.  Much of this money goes to the Democratic party, and much is paid to consultants who get enormous sums with little transparency.   Since fundraising success is a factor in gaining committee chairmanships and other perks, Reps have to spend their time as party fundraisers instead of solving our country's problems.   The Dems suck.  We don't.

   It was great to hear the inspiring story of how in the early days
79,000 people were persuaded to register for a party that didn't yet
exist.  During 2003 antiwar demonstrations it was said that people
crowded the registration tables four deep to sign up.

   Ray said that continuing to run campaigns where we get 5% of the vote was just guaranteeing that we'll continue to be ineffective.  It seemed that few people wanted to hear that.  It was nice to see a reunion amongst the old timers, people chattering excitedly.  But it reminded me of 9/11 Truth conventions where people go to have their dissenting beliefs reinforced by like-minded people.  I wonder if there's something cultish about continuing to convince each other that it's enough just to pull in a few thousand votes.  If we are to convince the mainstream that we are a viable alternative instead of a perennial protest vote, we need to convince ourselves of that first.