[Sosfbay-discuss] How Did Party in Berkeley Go?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Feb 9 07:42:26 PST 2010

Hi, Tian:

      There is a story behind that "PEACE" coin(a):  It mentions
"HAUDENOSAUNEE" and "GREAT LAW OF PEACE".  "Haudenosaunee" is another
word for Iroquois, which was a league of five tribes formed "In the 16th
century or earlier ... [and expanded to six tribes] in the 18th century
... .  According to tradition, the League was formed through the efforts
of two men, Deganawida, sometimes known as the Great Peacemaker, and
Hiawatha. They brought a message, known as the Great Law of Peace, to
the squabbling nations. ... Once they ceased most of their infighting,
the Iroquois rapidly became one of the strongest forces in seventeenth-
and eighteenth-century northeastern North America."(b)

      They were strong, because they agreed to settle their differences
by rule of law rather than resorting to violence.  Their strength was
limited, because they lacked an effective means for extending their
confederacy.  The strength of the US is partly based on emulating the
constitution of the Iroquois confederation, with which Ben Franklin and
others had had contact in the years prior to the American Revolution.
Conversely, in my judgment, the strength of the US is limited in part by
the contempt US elites and media show for the United Nations and
international law

      Comments?
      Spencer

(a)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea_dollar

(b) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois

Tian Harter wrote:
> <snip>
> there is now a buck with "PEACE" on it.
> I'd tell them "now that there is peace in the change, for only a buck
> you can have peace in your change." Moved quite a few of the things.
> Now there is a more distributed sprinkling of PEACE in peoples change.
<snip>

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer